Softball: Big Ten fate on line vs. Ohio State

Senior Erin Dyer has a much different memory of May 27, 2006 than most Northwestern seniors.

While other then-freshmen went to see performances by Robert Rudolph and the Family Band and Ben Folds on Dillo Day, Dyer and classmates Ashley Lafever, Jessica Rigas and Tammy Williams were at Sharon J. Drysdale Field taking on Massachusetts in the NCAA Super Regional.

After losing the first game of the best-of-three series the day before, the two games that Dillo Day were must-wins for NU.

With the Wildcats down 2-0 entering the sixth inning of the second game of the series, some rowdy fans began to rile up the crowd. They also riled up the team. NU went on to tie the game in the sixth on two bases-loaded walks and won it on a two-run double in the seventh.

In the rubber match played later that day, the Cats easily disposed of the Minutewomen, 9-0, and clinched a bid to their first of two consecutive trips to the Women’s College World Series.

“(Coach) Kate (Drohan) was dumped with a Gatorade can,” Dyer said. “And then an ‘Oklahoma’ chant started, and that was the coolest thing I’ve ever heard in my life.”

Less than three years and 124 wins later, those seniors will play their last regular season games at Sharon J. Drysdale Field, when No. 12 NU takes on No. 11 Ohio State this weekend.

Drohan said the field means something more to the seniors because they have witnessed its renovations over the past three years. The changes include increased seating, installation of new turf and sunken dugouts.

“I think it’s a special place,” Drohan said. “Specifically because our seniors have really been a part of its transformation. I think it’s very meaningful to them, I think it represents the growth of the program.”

The Cats (29-11, 12-4 Big Ten) enter the series against the Buckeyes (40-7, 12-2) with an undefeated home record for the 2009 campaign. During their time at NU, the seniors have lost only six games, including postseason games, at Sharon J. Drysdale Field.

The Cats are going to need a complete team effort in order to continue their home winning streak in what may be the senior class’s last series of home games. While NU’s offense has been explosive recently, the team’s pitching has struggled. Junior Lauren Delaney bounced back nicely Tuesday against No. 19 DePaul after a rough weekend against Illinois in which she gave up 13 runs. In six innings of work against the Blue Demons, Delaney allowed three earned runs while striking out eight.

“We really want to go hard in these games,” said Delaney of the upcoming duels with Ohio State. “And hopefully make a statement with these games showing that we are back to ourselves.”

The Buckeyes come into Evanston tied with Michigan atop the Big Ten standings. NU has two more conference losses than Ohio State, and this weekend’s series will go a long way in deciding the final standings.

Fortunately for the Cats, they get to take on the Buckeyes at Sharon J. Drysdale Field, a venue where they are used to dominating.

“It’s awesome,” said Rigas, of Sharon J. Drysdale Field. “Our field is our home field, and we take care of it.”