Bates salivating over speedy unit

When it comes to linebacking, few know more than Pat Fitzgerald.

It’s safe to say the two-time Nagurski Trophy and Bednarik Award winner understands the importance of strong linebackers as the core of the defense.

“It’s critical,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s a conduit between the front and the back. They have leadership, and they have guys who can go out and make plays and be confident and get us in the right front and adjust us the right way. It’s absolutely critical.”

Over the past decade, Northwestern has had no shortage of star linebackers. Barry Gardner, Kevin Bentley, Napoleon Harris, Tim McGarigle and Nick Roach have all gone on to play in the NFL.

After losing its two most experienced veterans (Prince Kwateng and Malcolm Arrington) to graduation, junior Quentin Davie is NU’s most seasoned returner. Davie started last spring on the second team, but he upended then-senior Mike Dinard to win the starting spot in Camp Kenosha. The St. Louis native started 11 games last year and recorded 57 tackles.

Still, with a deep pool of linebackers, even Davie isn’t guaranteed to start.

In addition to four incoming freshmen, there are 10 players vying for three spots. Davie and junior Nate Williams, who took over after Arrington suffered a season ending injury, are the only two who have starting experience. While Williams only started the last six games of the season, he made his presence felt, finishing fifth on the team with 66 tackles.

“I think the biggest thing that you noticed with Nate is his preparation,” linebackers coach Randy Bates said. “Nate was prepared when his time came. When he came, he took advantage of it and had a great end to the season. We’re expecting even better things here in the future.”

Three redshirt freshmen, four sophomores and one senior make up the rest of Bates’ bunch. The senior, Chris Jeske, was highly recruited out of high school, but his career has been limited due to an assortment of injuries. In spring practice, Jeske has been practicing with the first team, and he could make a big impact next fall.

Another wild card in the mix is sophomore Aaron Nagel. After attending Notre Dame for one year, Nagel transferred to NU. Due to NCAA rules, Nagel was required to sit out last year, but he figures to challenge for playing time.

Other contenders for the starting job include redshirt freshmen Stone Pinckney, Tyris Jones, Ben Johnson and David Nwabuisi, and sophomores Bryce McNaul and Kyle Petty.

According to Davie, the added competition benefits the players.

“It just lifts everybody’s play up,” Davie said. “And you can see it in practice: If the twos go out and make a good play, than the ones have to come out and make a better play.”

No matter which three suit up for the Cats, there is one area in which the linebackers will be vastly improved in 2009 – speed. Bates said in Fitzgerald’s three seasons, that has been a point of emphasis.

“The game has changed to a more wide-open game anyway, and you have to have that kind of speed,” Bates said.

While competing for the starting job under Fitzgerald’s watchful eye may add some pressure, Williams wouldn’t have it any other way.

“It is definitely a huge asset as a linebacker,” Williams said. “Every now and then, I come in and watch film with him; he really slows some plays down for me. It’s one of the reasons I came here.”