Softball: Adrienne Monka named national player of the week

After hitting .765, driving in 13 runs and slugging 1.706 in the last five games, freshman Adrienne Monka was named the Louisville Slugger/NFCA National Player of the Week.

Monka is the second Northwestern player to win the award this year as senior Tammy Williams won the award on March 10.

“It’s an honor,” Monka said. “But it’s an even bigger honor for the team because it means that we are playing well. So it’s pretty big for the team.”

In addition to raising her batting average 75 points to .404, Monka set two school records last week.

First, Monka compiled hits in eight consecutive at-bats, breaking the NU school record set by Stephanie Churchwell in 2005 and tying her for the ninth longest streak in NCAA Division I history.

Monka also blasted her 15th home run of the season in Saturday’s game against Purdue, not only making her the team leader but also setting the record for most home runs by a freshman. Williams and junior Nicole Pauly had each hit 14 long balls in their freshman campaigns.

In addition to being named Louisville Slugger/NFCA National Player of the Week, Monka was also named Big Ten Player of the Week for the second time this year. Monka garnered her first Big Ten Player of the Week award on Feb. 16 after her performance at the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic.

For the majority of the season, Monka has batted third in one of the most potent lineups in the country. According to coach Kate Drohan, Monka is fortunate to have such great hitters around her

“I think she’s a very skilled, very disciplined hitter,” Drohan said. “And I think our batting order is helping out too: (Williams) is in front of her and (sophomore) Michelle Batts is behind her. Everyone is just trusting in the people in front of them and behind them.”

Monka is just the third freshman to win the Louisville Slugger/NFCA National Player of the Week this year.