Softball: The friendly confines of home

Voted the nation’s best playing surface in 2008, Sharon J. Drysdale field is a softball player’s field of dreams.

The field has undergone many renovations over the past years, including the addition of new outfield turf in 2006. But as No. 8 Northwestern heads into its third home contest of the year, the field is clearly not the only benefit to being at home.

The addition of more than 1,000 seats to the stadium before the 2008 season has allowed for much larger turnout, which gives the Cats a significant advantage.

“I love playing at home because we get so many fans,” junior Kelly Dyer said. “Having purple in the stands and people that support you and cheer for you is huge.”

After going undefeated at home during the regular season last year, the Cats have picked up where they left off. NU defeated No. 8 Michigan at Drysdale Field on March 21 and 22, sweeping the season series for the first time in nine years. While school was not in session for those games, they still drew a considerable crowd.

NU (18-7, 4-0 Big Ten) averaged more than 800 fans for each game against Michigan, and the team is hoping that the resumption of classes will increase that number – starting with its doubleheader against Michigan State (13-16, 0-3) Wednesday.

The Spartans have struggled early in Big Ten play, but have proven dangerous at the plate. Michigan State has blasted 31 home runs this year, good for third in the Big Ten.

However, the Cats will counter the Spartan hitters with ace and Big Ten Pitcher of the Week Lauren Delaney. Delaney is coming off one of her best performances of the year: She threw a two-hit shutout for the 27th of her career Sunday against Penn State.

Since sophomore Jessica Smith is injured Delaney has picked up a considerable load this season. She has pitched more than 150 innings this season and has racked up 17 wins. Both marks rank her second in the Big Ten. Behind Delaney, the defense has completed 11 double plays – two more than they turned all of last year.

“Lauren has been doing a fantastic job of providing us with a lot of grounders instead of home runs,” sophomore Michelle Batts said.

Delaney’s job has been easier due to great run support from the offense: the Cats are averaging almost six runs per game. NU is leading the Big Ten in slugging percentage and home runs while it ranks second in on-base percentage.

Wednesday is April Fool’s Day at Drysdale Field, but opposing teams find nothing funny about playing the Cats in Evanston. Senior Tammy Williams has experienced the effects that the field and crowd have on the team. NU is 35-3 in regular season games since 2006.

For Williams, the proof is in the winning.

“We love playing at home,” Williams said. “We love playing for the fans, and that has shown.”