Softball: Speed kills for Cats’ Thompson

After leading the Big Ten in steals last year, sophomore Robin Thompson proved that she was one of the fastest players in the Big Ten.

But according to senior Tammy Williams, Thompson is more than that.

“I think (her) speed is something that almost no one has in the entire country,” Williams said.

Thus far, Williams and Thompson have been providing a spark at the top of one of the most potent lineups in the country. Williams is used to this position; she has hit first in the lineup for the majority of her career. Thompson, however, hit towards the bottom of the lineup last year. This year, coach Kate Drohan not only moved Thompson up to second, she transformed Thompson into a slapper.

In softball, a slapper is a left-handed hitter who has great speed and a propensity for putting the ball in play. Thompson has done both – she is third on the team with a .404 on-base percentage and has only eight strikeouts. In addition, Thompson has compiled six steals thus far, good enough for fifth in the conference.

“(Robin) has done a great job just showing up every day at practice and working hard at slapping,” Drohan said. “I think she is definitely one of the fastest female student athletes in the Big Ten conference.”

At the top spot, Williams hasn’t been bad herself. After finishing sixth in the Big Ten with a .440 batting average last year, Williams currently sits second in the conference with 27 hits.

This new combination has wreaked havoc on unsuspecting defenses. Together, the two have combined to score 35 runs, over one third of the team’s total.

“It really puts pressure on defenses from the beginning,” Thompson said. “You don’t have to wait until the middle or the bottom of the order. … It challenges the other team to make plays.”

The Wildcats’ offense has been shaky this year, and they were held to four runs or less in three of their six losses. But the team will need their bats more than ever on Saturday and Sunday. This weekend, Northwestern (10-6) will take part in The Preview Presented by Worth, a prestigious three-team tournament that pits No. 16 NU against No. 6 Oklahoma and No. 8 Tennessee. The Cats will play four games this weekend, two apiece against the Sooners and the Volunteers.

The tournament takes place at the ASA Hall of Fame Stadium, the site of the Women’s College World Series. For some team members, this stadium evokes great memories from the 2006 season.

“I’m really excited about playing on the field this weekend,” Williams said. “And just the feeling that comes to you when you are on that field.”

After just missing out on the World Series last year, this is the first trip to Oklahoma City for about half of the team, but they are hoping it won’t be their last.

“I think it will be a good a good experience for us and get us used to playing on that field,” Williams said. “Hopefully for later in the season.