NU alumna aims to be city’s next mayor

Jeanne Lindwall thinks of herself as a planner.

And after spending her career developing city projects and programs, she is now planning to become the next mayor of Evanston.

“It’s really important to have someone in the office of mayor who has a comprehensive view of Evanston as a community, who can bring people together and build consensus,” Lindwall said.

Born and raised in California, Lindwall first came to Evanston to attend Northwestern, where she earned a bachelor’s degree in art in 1971.

She moved back to the West Coast to complete her master’s degree in urban planning at the University of Washington in Seattle.

After returning to Evanston in 1974, Lindwall became involved with various city programs and initiatives.

Besides assembling the Capital Improvement Program, she worked with the Plan Commission on the 1985 Comprehensive Plan and the 1989 Downtown Plan.

Lindwall’s experience with city issues encouraged her to run for mayor, after seeing firsthand the discontent of many Evanston residents, she said.

“We need a strong vision for Evanston’s future, and no other planner was willing to step up to the plate,” she said.

Lindwall has frequently spoken on the newly-adopted Downtown Plan, particularly the 35-story height limit for Fountain Square and other buildings in the central core district.

Mary Heitzinger, Lindwall’s campaign manager, met her while participating in a community advocacy group regarding the tower.

“Jeanne has the expertise to look at things from a fiscal, design and community health standpoint,” Heitzinger said. “She was able to look at the plan closely and recognize that it made no sense.”

After working in the Evanston Planning Department, Lindwall started as a consultant for Camiros, Ltd., a planning and development firm in Chicago.

“Her work is being duplicated in communities around the nation,” Heitzinger said. “She knows how to bring the community together to work for the things that Evanston so desperately needs.”

Longtime friend and Evanston community activist Vito Brugliera (McCormick ’55), said Lindwall is very familiar with the vital mayoral duties.

“She knows Evanston; she’s a city planner and she knows her way around city finances,” Brugliera said. “She has the qualifications that the job needs right now.”

When it comes to NU, another hot election topic, Lindwall’s ties run deeper than her alumna status.

She lives on Library Place, less than a block away from the university.

“No matter where you live in Evanston, you’re connected to the Northwestern community,” she said. “If you didn’t want to be connected, you wouldn’t live here.”

As a football season ticket holder, Lindwall frequently attends games, tailgates and other university events. She also takes part in community conversations, which she said are important for maintaining “mutual respect.”

“There seems to be this perception of tension, but I think there’s a certain looking out for each other that goes on,” Lindwall said.

Calling the town-gown issue a “thorny one,” Lindwall said an open dialogue is essential for a peaceful coexistence.

“I understand Northwestern’s position of wanting to maintain their tax-exempt status, but the residents of Evanston also feel they are supplementing services in a difficult economy,” she said. “I think we all need to realize that the university’s mission and the city’s mission are not the same.”

If elected, Lindwall plans to create an open dialogue on all facets of the city, including schools, businesses, nonprofits and the Evanston City Council.

“My priority as mayor is to have community conversations to identify what the issues are, what resources we have and how best to proceed,” she said. “Everyone has to be at the table.”