Men’s Tennis: Wildcats hope to ‘return the favor’

One year ago when Northwestern traveled to the Eastern Seaboard for its tour of Virginia, it played a William & Mary team that had won five of its last six matches and was ranked 45th in the country. The Wildcats, on the other hand, had lost two of their last three matches and were on a downward spiral toward one of the worst seasons in school history.

This year, as the Cats travel to Virginia to face William & Mary and Old Dominion, the story could not be more different.

NU (10-1) heads into its third road trip of the year fresh off upsetting its first ranked opponent, No. 48 Harvard. The Cats have roared off to their best start in over a decade, with their only loss coming in a nail-biter to No. 25 Notre Dame. In contrast, the Tribe have gone up against four ranked opponents in their last six meets, and they have lost all of them. But despite their recent struggles, coach Arvid Swan won’t underestimate the Tribe.

“(They are) a very competitive team,” Swan said. “Really good at doubles. Strong at home. Well coached.”

As for the Monarchs, Swan said they will be a tough opponent, especially after having notched a victory over No. 33 Virginia Commonwealth earlier in the season.

Because of its strong start, NU has burst into the ITA’s top 75, ranking 67th. Behind them at No. 68 is William & Mary, followed directly by Old Dominion.

This weekend’s duals mark the last two matches before the Cats begin their conference schedule. According to junior captain Alex Sanborn, the 10-1 record that NU has compiled serves as proof of the team’s great depth.

“We can go out every day and compete with every team,” Sanborn said. “We’re just as good as anybody else.”

The numbers certainly point to increased depth, as the Cats have won their 11 meets by a combined score of 67-10. In Evanston, NU has been even more dominant, boasting a 60-3 record.

For the most part, the Cats have dominated in singles, never losing more than three of the six singles matches. And while the Cats have struggled a little more in doubles, their No. 2 and 3 doubles teams are 20-2 on the season.

“We have a competitive team,” Swan said. “The guys worked hard for me all year. I think they definitely want to win. It’s a team that’s trying to get better and build on last year.”

Still, with their conference schedule ahead, the Cats know that they have a lot of work to do. The Big Ten is one of the top conferences in the country, with three teams ranking in the top 25, including next Friday’s opponent, Illinois.

However, the Cats are taking this season one meet at a time. As Sanborn noted, last year’s embarrassing loss to William & Mary is still fresh in his mind, and he has one goal for the team this weekend against the Tribe.

“Hopefully we’ll return the favor,” he said.