City developments get time in light of recession

In one of Evanston’s shortest City Council meetings in recent months, aldermen approved planning extensions for two development projects Monday night.

At the request of Carroll Properties, Inc., council members voted 6-3 to extend construction deadlines for mixed-use condominium towers at 1890 Maple Ave. and 1881 Oak Ave.

Letters submitted by the developer’s attorney asked for an additional three years to begin construction on the projects. The extension would push the date for 1890 Maple to Oct. 1, 2013, and 1881 Oak to July 12, 2013.

The letters stated that “poor market conditions and the current recession have frozen credit markets,” which has delayed the developer’s ability to begin the projects.

Alds. Edmund Moran (6th), Melissa Wynne (3rd) and Anjana Hansen (9th) voted against the requests. All three also voted against the items when they originally came to council for approval.

“I originally voted no, so my vote tonight was consistent with that,” Hansen said. “Three years is too long to wait.”

Moran said the letters submitted to the council indicated that Trader Joe’s, which originally planned to open a store in the complex at 1890 Maple, has delayed moving forward with the development. The project previously enjoyed support because of the retailer’s expected involvement, he said.

“This particular project was looked upon much more favorably than perhaps it would be at this stage,” he said. “I don’t hold out much hope that Trader Joe’s will come to this project.”

In the Administration and Public Works Committee meeting, members approved the purchase of 50 bulbs for Evanston’s street lamps to stock up for the next four years. The city will spend $68,000 on the lights, with a discount given for the advanced buying.

The committee also approved an increase in the cigarette tax from 50 cents to 60 cents. The measure was included in the city budget passed earlier this month.

Ald. Ann Rainey (8th) wanted to raise the tax to a round dollar. Other committee members said a higher tax would not allow Evanston retailers to compete with cigarette sellers from surrounding municipalities.

“You can either look at it like that, or you can look at it as a way to solve a universal health problem,” Rainey said. “I don’t care if (people) buy them, as long as they help pay for the misery they cause.”

At the Planning and Development Committee meeting, members voted to approve a number of zoning ordinances.

They also proposed ways to help residents at risk of foreclosure, focusing on the importance of education.

Wynne said residents should be told they “don’t ever have to go underwater.”

Moran set a special meeting of the committee for March 3 at 6 p.m. to discuss the recently amended proposal for the Fountain Square Tower at 708 Church St.

[email protected]@u.northwestern.edu