Firing Squad: The Obama blind dates

Sen. Barack Obama has spent the past two years telling the country he can bring people together. If things go his way today, he’ll have the next four years to prove it (I’m thinking this will be the case).

But in the meantime, we need to give credit where credit is due: Sen. Obama has created a dating service – and an effective one at that. Think about it, Obama’s victory – I mean… Election Night – rally requires supporters to come in pairs, and one member of the couple has to be on a list maintained by the Secret Service. Combine this with Craigslist.com and the fact that the free tickets “sold out” in minutes, and you have quite possibly the best blind date this side of Wasilla. My fellow romantic, Mike, writes:

“My girlfriend and I broke up over the weekend, leaving me in the unusual situation of having an extra Obama rally ticket. One of my best (and most selfless) female friends suggested I use it to kick off my return to the dating world with it.

“This isn’t some creepy thing – if we get inside and don’t get along, you can go your own way. You don’t need to send me a photo. (You can, but you don’t have to.)… Just tell me why you’d like to go. Imagine if we actually get along. We’d have a heck of a story to tell people about how we met. So, if you’re a woman between the ages of 24 and 30 who is interested in a really memorable blind date, send me an e-mail. I’ll make a decision by noon tomorrow. Thanks, Mike”

If that doesn’t transcend partisan politics, I don’t know what does. But Godspeed, Obama Romantics, I’d join you if I could. Unfortunately I’ll be watching tomorrow night from the third floor of Norris, as I wait for reporters who scored press credentials to file their stories. So if you’re a woman between the ages of 19 and 23 who is interested in a memorable blind date watching from The Daily newsroom, send me an e-mail and I’ll make a decision by noon tomorrow.

-DANNY YADRONCampus Editor