Council to discuss library renovations, budget tonight

The Evanston City Council will continue to keep budget concerns at the forefront during its meeting tonight, aldermen said.

The agenda includes a “special order of business” during which council members will consider approving renovations to the two Evanston Public Library branches.

“I’m hoping the library issue will be resolved,” Ald. Cheryl Wollin (1st) said. “I think we desperately need to start the renovations on those buildings.”

At the council’s last meeting on Oct. 13, aldermen postponed action on a proposal to hire an architect to plan improvements at the North and South branches of the library. The contract alone would cost $52,500.

Several aldermen questioned the overall cost of the project.

Paul Gottschalk, the library’s administrative services manager, had estimated that the total cost of remodeling, including improvements to ventilation and rest rooms, would be about $300,000. The city allocated $130,000 for renovations, which would be added to the $50,000 provided by outside contributors.

Ald. Lionel Jean-Baptiste (2nd), who made the motion to hold the item at the last meeting, said he now feels more prepared to support the proposal after reviewing additional information provided to the council over the past two weeks.

“The issue for me was whether council was being asked to spend more than we had originally planned,” he said. “If it is clear that we will not spend more than what we allocated, than I will vote in favor of this item.”

The council was also worried about the sale of the building adjacent to the North Branch, said Ald. Elizabeth Tisdahl (7th). The property was estimated to sell for more than $300,000, which would contribute to the renovation costs.

“This building still hasn’t sold and the real estate market is struggling, so we were concerned that we would hire architects and end up not having the money to pay them,” Tisdahl said.

The council has now been provided with information projecting the sale of the building to be as profitable as originally expected, she added.

Also on Monday night’s agenda is the introduction of a proposed increase in fines for those who violate snow parking rules.

The penalty for failing to move vehicles for snowplows, currently $25, would increase to $35 if the council approves the amendment to city code.

“This particular fine hasn’t been increased in a number of years, so I think it’s very likely that this recommendation will go through,” Tisdahl said.

The Parking Committee’s recommendation coincides with the city’s attempt to raise revenue as they head into budget season, Jean-Baptiste said.

“Toward the end of the year, budget deliberation is crucial,” he said. “We look at ways to reduce expenditure and increase revenue so we can achieve a balanced budget.”

The budget will continue to be the biggest concern for the council, especially as the city heads into budget hearings in the coming months, Tisdahl said.

“All of the aldermen are very concerned about our budget situation,” she said. “Our pension fund lacks funding and the Civic Center’s roof is crumbling, so we’re just trying to look for ways to save money where we can.”