Volleyball: NU looks for its big chance

Looking at the record of this year’s volleyball team might cause some confusion.

With wins and losses trading off like points in a set, Northwestern’s schedule resembles a game more than a regular season. The Wildcats’ record has been characterized by a long streak of losses and no more than two consecutive wins at a time this season.

“In the Big Ten you’re not going to catch many breaks,” coach Keylor Chan said. “You have to have confidence.”

That confidence is what NU (7-12, 1-7 Big Ten) strives to have every game.

No matter who the opponent is, the energy level is always high and the enthusiasm is contagious. Instead of dwelling on mistakes in games, practice is seen as the best place to work off the extra emotions from a tough loss.

But win or lose, there is always something to work on.

“After a loss we talk about what we can do better and then we drop it,” freshman setter Madalyn Shalter said. “We try not to dwell on it, but inside we all know what we need to work on. We’re right there with the competition. The losses make us want to work harder. No one here likes to lose.”

But losing has its silver lining too.

“You can get a bit down and start questioning yourself – that’s when you find out the character of the team and program,” Chan said.

The Cats’ character will be put to the test in their upcoming games as they try to get over the .500 mark for the season. With 11 conference games left, six against top-25 teams, NU will get its chance to make up for its first half struggles.

Both the coach and the team know that this goal is a tough one, considering the team’s 7-12 record, including a 1-7 mark in the Big Ten.

“It’s a process,” Chan said. “We have to continue to work each day. It’s the daily improvement that gets you a win in the Big Ten. It’s a day-to-day thing. Only two things can happen in practice: You can get better or worse.”

The Cats may finally have turned the corner on their season. NU got its first conference win last Friday against a tough No. 19 Illinois team in a five set battle.

“After Illinois we were elated,” sophomore setter Elyse Glab said. “We were all just happy because we had been working so hard in practice. Everything clicked and it all paid off in the game.”

Despite falling to No. 18 Purdue the day after their win over the Illini, the Cats hope they can build off the victory this weekend when they host Indiana (10-10, 2-6) and No. 1 Penn State (20-0, 8-0) at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

“Especially since we got our first Big Ten win last week, it will be something we can build on,” Shalter said.