Volleyball: NU can’t hold on to lead, falls short of first conference win

Northwestern has lost to its Big Ten opponents in every way possible.

The Wildcats have started out strong, only to fall behind. They have gone down 2-0, rallied and still lost. And they have been shut out.

They found a new way Friday evening against Michigan State at the Jenison Field House in East Lansing, Mich.

Searching for its first Big Ten victory of the season, it appeared NU might finally break through.

After three sets the Cats led 2-1, needing to win only one of the two remaining sets to get rid of the zero in the win column.

NU (6-11, 0-6 Big Ten) jumped out to a 6-3 lead in the fifth and final set. But the Spartans (11-5, 3-2) rattled off four straight points and went on to win the set 15-12, ensuring the Cats would take the 3-2 loss and remain the only winless team in the Big Ten.

The Spartans dominated early, jumping out to a 6-2 lead in the first set and going on to win 25-17. But in the second set, the Cats went on a 10-5 run that featured six of sophomore setter Elyse Glab’s 42 assists. The Cats won the set 25-20.

The third set was tied at three separate points before Michigan State grabbed a 20-18 lead. But NU won seven of the last eight points to win the set 25-21, with junior libero Kate Nobilio recording four of her 17 digs.

The Cats, however, could not finish off the Spartans. They cut a six-point Spartan lead to one on two occassions – including at 22-21. But two of Michigan State freshman Kyndra Abron’s team-high 13 kills pushed the lead to 24-22. The Spartans went on to win the set and force a decisive fifth set.

NU jumped ahead early in the race to 15 points, but the team could not close out the match. Michigan State held on to take the 15-12 win.

The Cats’ next attempt to tally their first Big Ten win and perhaps catch up with one-win teams like Indiana and Ohio State is Friday night against Illinois (13-4, 4-2) in Champaign, Ill.

– ROdger Sherman