Super-sweet seders

Out with the chametz and in with the matzo: It’s time for Passover! The annual week-long Jewish festival celebrating the Israelites’ freedom from bondage in Egypt begins this Saturday. Seders, the traditional dinners celebrating the first and second nights of Passover, are being being held on and off campus. Still figuring out your Pesach plans? Left the Haggadah at home? Looking to make Saturday night different from all other nights? Here are some Seder suggestions for those stuck on campus.

FOR STUDENTS ONLY: Hillel is sponsoring four student-led Seders each night, which range from the old-fashioned to the slightly unorthodox. At TK YEAR/SCHOOL Andrea Seligman’s off-campus Seder on Hinman Ave., there will be an abbreviated service, and a discussion encouraging guests to consider “everyday challenges of freedom,” Seligman says. If you’re looking for a fun, social holiday, sign up for a more “active” Seder at ZBT on Sunday. “Instead of two or three people leading it … we try and take advantage of the participants of the table,” says co-host and Communication senior James Kowalsky. Expect a number of Birthright alums at the Saturday night Seder at the John Evans Alumni Center. “Students don’t want to go to a 500-person Seder at Hillel,” says co-host Andrea Jacobs, Hillel Director of Engagement. “We’re holding a number of Seders so each one feels like home.” For the traditionalists, Hillel Rabbi Josh Fiegelson is hosting a Seder at his Maple Ave. home on Saturday night. Each dinner costs $25. Broke? Consider signing up on Hillel’s Web site for a free Seder with a local Jewish family.

CHABAD HOME-COOKING: Rabbi Dov Klein is hosting a Seder each night at the Chabad House at 2014 Orrington. Students of all affiliations are welcome and drop-ins are allowed. The entire Haggadah will be covered – but in English. Rabbi Klein also promises that his Seder will be completely homemade, courtesy of his wife. There is a suggested donation of $13, and the services start at 8:15 p.m. each night.

DO-IT-YOURSELF: Organizing your own Seder is pretty simple. You can print out Haggadahs at www.chabad.org in Hebrew and English. As for the traditional foods, including the Seder plate fixings, matzo and grape juice, Hillel is providing “Seders in a Box” for $5 apiece. Other Passover staples, like Gefilte fish, charoset and macaroons, can be purchased at Whole Foods.