Taking action

Four years after the start of violent conflict in Darfur, sterile statistics about refugees and displaced people seem tired. Even death tolls begin to sound worn. Darfur Now refreshingly resists packaging the genocide in government reports or trite sound bites. Instead, the documentary lets those closest to the genocide use their own voices, creating a powerful call to action.

Written and directed by Ted Braun, Darfur Now subtly blends the stories of six individuals who have experienced the genocide from inside Darfur. The experiences of these activists, humanitarians, rebels, victims and government workers illuminate both the suffering and the hope of the people whose lives have been defined and forever changed by genocide.

Darfur Now explores the tragedy through the eyes of actor/activist Don Cheadle, rebel soldier Hejewa Adam, World Food Program leader Pablo Recalde, international prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo, sheik Ahmed Mohammed Abakar and activist Adam Sterling.

Despite the complexities presented by the six stories, the film makes clear the basic, intolerable nature of the atrocities occurring in Sudan. Together, these six people’s lives represent different perspectives but also the one clear goal for eventual peace, justice and healing for the people of Darfur.

Adam Sterling, director of the Sudan Divestment Task Force, hopes that the intricacies of the genocide will not lead to American indifference.

“It’s complex. There’s no question about that,” he says. “But what international conflict do you know about that’s not complex? Complexity can’t be an excuse for inaction.”

Sterling says the film’s power lies in storytelling and its ability to personalize a crisis of such huge proportions.

“It’s hard to connect to statistics because that’s all they are-just statistics,” he says. “But if you connect the public with stories, that’s what inspires them.”

Through devastating personal accounts from refugees and sweeping shots of decimated villages, the film confronts its audience with the overwhelming violence occurring in Sudan. Abstracted sounds and snapshots of the chaos convey both the emotion and the tangible realities of the destruction.

Both gritty and artistic, Darfur Now juxtaposes eyewitness’ stories of brutality and pain with beautiful shots of the people and landscapes of Darfur. The tension between the two realms is palpable, forcing audiences to grapple with the fracturing effects of the violence.

Darfur Now is not just a snapshot of the genocide. It begs audiences to feel compassion for the victims as well as outrage at the perpetrators of such vicious crimes against humanity. But most of all, producers want audiences to have hope for the people of Sudan and feel the urge to take action.

To facilitate viewer participation, the film’s creators urge viewers to join the Web site www.participate.net, an online community of movie enthusiasts who share a passion for social justice. Darfur Now has its own campaign page which provides visitors with opportunities to learn more about the genocide, share their responses to the film and take concrete steps toward ending the crisis in Darfur.

Once people are aware of the genocide, says producer Don Cheadle, there will be no excuse for indifference.

“We cannot say ‘I didn’t know,'” he says in the film. “We can only say ‘I acted-or I didn’t act.'”

Darfur Now is playing at the AMC Loews Pipers Alley, 1608 N. Wells St.

Medill sophomore Katherine Bernot is a PLAY writer. She can be reached at [email protected].