Bar review: The Knot

I’ve spent the better part of this year – not to mention the best part of this year – at Evanston’s very own public house, the Celtic Knot, 626 Church St. I go every Monday to hear the Mudflapps. I go every Tuesday to hear Celtic music. I go every Wednesday to – well, for no particular reason. In fact, I go almost every day, because the Knot makes for the perfect home away from home away from home. It’s the best way to end a good day and the only way to end a bad day.

Most people, however, think of the Knot as a restaurant – a very good restaurant at that, serving traditional pub grub – a Scotch Egg or Shepherd’s Pie. It’s the kind of restaurant you take your parents to, as this past weekend demonstrated.

But that perception shortchanges this pub’s nightlife. There’s not a more perfect place in town to take a few friends, enjoy a couple draughts and actually have a conversation with each other. The staff and personable bartenders will even take the time to get to know you and your favorite drink.

Sure, there’s no mingling and certainly no dancing, but Evanston already has that five times over. The lack of all that makes the Knot the ideal place for the class clown, whose humor goes unheard at noisier bars, and the classy drinker, who’s willing to spend an extra couple dollars for a real beer served in a real glass.

Tuesdays feature Celtic music, and every couple of weeks they have storytelling. If you’re at all skeptical of how awesome that is, skip karaoke and come to the Knot Sunday night. I know I’ll be there.

-BENTLEY FORD