New kiosk makes paying for city parking easier

A pilot program is showcasing new technology in an effort to modernize the way Evanston residents pay to park.

The Pay-by-Space program, currently operating at Lot 24 on 700 Main St., has a central kiosk, similar to an ATM, which functions as the parking meter for the entire lot.

Residents who once could only pay for parking in Evanston with spare change can now use cash, coins, debit or credit card, said Rick Voss, assistant manager for the Transportation Department of Evanston.

Parkers can even set up a payment method via their cell phones, which doesn’t require a visit to the kiosk, said John Burke, Evanston’s director of transportation.

A unique feature of the Pay-by-Space program is that the receipt does not need to be displayed on the car, unlike many of Chicago’s lots. The kiosk allows parking enforcement employees to monitor the lot at any time, Burke said.

The kiosk itself is solar-powered and supports both Spanish and English in an effort to accommodate more residents, Voss said.

Similar programs have been implemented in Chicago, as well as in many cities around the country and even in Europe, Burke said.

The program began in September and will end in December, at which point Burke and the department will provide a report detailing the program’s strengths and drawbacks so the city can decide whether or not to continue using the system, he said.

For the first two weeks, greeters were stationed at the lot to help residents adjust to the new technology, which includes an energy-saving shut-down when the system is inactive.

“Some people think it’s odd because the screen is blank when it’s not in use,” Voss said.

Residents have been encouraged to provide feedback regarding the quality of the system by e-mail or phone. The main complaint has been waiting in line to use the kiosk, as opposed to having individual parking meters, Burke said.

Another advantage is the ability to showcase local events on the kiosk, such as sidewalk sales, festivals or other city-related programs. This form of local advertisement is meant “to promote the growth of the city and support its businesses,” Burke said.

Although no final decisions have been made, Burke said the response from drivers using the system has been generally positive due to the wider range of options that residents can use in the Pay-by-Space program.

“We think people ought to park in a way that’s convenient for them,” he said.

Drivers said they feel the program is a great improvement over traditional methods of parking.

“It’s pretty easy to use,” said Dan Ciupuliga, 24, a Web developer from Chicago. “I was out of quarters, so that really helped.”

Reach Kyle Berlin at [email protected].