Commission Votes To Recommend Plan For 14-story Building

By Danny YadronThe Daily Northwestern

The Evanston Plan Commission recommended a 14-story retail and residential development at 1890 Maple Ave. at its Wednesday meeting.

The development was presented at the Feb. 21 commission meeting but was delayed by concerns from potential neighbors.

The Evanston Northwestern Healthcare Research Institute, 1001 University Place, initially raised concerns about traffic on the service road, vibrations from construction and noise complaints from would-be neighbors.

Ivan Kane, a representative for Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, said renters in the proposed development might file complaints although the facility complies with the rules.

“You’re going to have an industrial use that’s complying with every code, and a residential use (next to it),” Kane said. “They’re not compatible neighbors.”

Kane requested in a letter that Carroll Properties and its renters refrain from filing complaints about the noise against the research institute. Carroll agreed to warn renters about the noise but refused to make renters waive their rights. Residents and Evanston Northwestern Healthcare officials are concerned about traffic issues.

The revised plan allows for a wider service drive to decrease traffic on the surrounding streets. But delivery trucks would cause delays because they would need to back out onto Emerson Street, Evanston resident Tina Payton said.

“There is no way that there is going to be any relief from the traffic with their minor adjustments,” she said. “How can you manage 1,400 to 1,600 cars at the same time one of these trucks comes out of the alleyway?”

Despite the objections, commissioners recommended the plan 6-0.

The development would fit nicely in the changing context of the area, Commission Chairman James Woods said.

A scheduled 18-story residential building at 1881 Oak Ave. was approved by the Evanston City Council last fall despite the recommended denial from the commission.

“Oak is over and done with,” Woods said. “The City Council approved it and established a new context. This design does almost everything that everybody asked of the previous project, so clearly the developer was listening. The project is well conceived and well designed.”

Although construction on 1881 Oak Ave. has been stalled by a stagnant housing market, Robert King, president of Carroll Properties, said he is still hoping to start construction on 1890 Maple Ave. by the end of the year.

“Certainly the market for rental housing is stronger than that for high-end retail,” King said.

The proposal will be heard by the council’s Planning and Development Committee.

Reach Danny Yadron at [email protected].