ICCA Sing At NU

Eight a cappella groups, including Northwestern’s own Undertones, faced off Saturday evening in the Varsity Vocals International Championship of A Cappella Semifinals.

Almost a thousand spectators filled Cahn Auditorium to see the event, hosted by NU’s Purple Haze. Each group was allotted 12 minutes to perform – enough time for about three songs – and then scored secretly by six official judges. Along with Undertones, participants included the University of Michigan’s Dicks & Janes, Michigan State’s Capital Green, Millikin University’s 5one and Missouri State’s A Cub Bella. Two groups represented the University of Illinois: the all-female Rip Chords, who later were ranked second runner-up, and the all-male Xtension Chords, who won first runner-up.

After a long deliberation period – filled with a set by Purple Haze, a beat-boxing competition and an impromptu performance from the Boston College Bostonians – judges declared the unconventional University of Nebraska group Rocktavo the winner. Chris Foss, a grad student and winner of the evening’s Outstanding Arrangement award, admits to helping steer the 9-man group toward a vocal jazz style, rather than pop.

“I try to pick more difficult literature, where we progress and have a good peak,” Foss says.

Rocktavo will compete in the ICCA final round April 21 at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in New York.

Saturday’s show marked the ICCA’s first appearance at Northwestern. Victor Mazzone, the Purple Haze member in charge of organizing for the event, was pleased with the result.

“It was really nice to host and make some money for projects in the future,” Mazzone says. “If they invited us to host again, we would definitely consider it. It was a great success.”

– Anton Galang