Xu Repeats AVP Bid To Ensure Academic Advising Is Effective

By Paul TakahashiThe Daily Northwestern

Born in China, raised in Canada and hailing from Texas, Anna Xu said her diverse background helps her be “more relatable and approachable.”

“I’m kind of from all over the place,” the McCormick junior said. “It makes you have a unique outlook on people and how their backgrounds and experiences affect them.”

Xu is the only candidate running for academic vice president this year. Her candidacy is her second attempt for this position.

Xu lost last year to Jordan Fox, now a Communication senior, in a run-off election by a margin of 220 votes – or 12 percentage points.

“Jordan had a great platform last year and she’s been an amazing AVP,” Xu said. “It was just a tough race.”

Xu said her experience on the Academic Committee since her freshman year will help her if she is elected on April 10.

“It’s been three years now, and I’ve worked on a lot of projects,” she said. “Having been on the committee for so long and having the experience of working with the administration on these really tough issues has been an important lesson.”

Xu said her run for the position last year was another learning experience.

“Campaigning, more important than anything, is a really humbling experience,” she said. “You really get in touch with the student body and you kind of get to know what they’re thinking. … I’m a strong believer in face time.”

“A lot of these projects seem like really lofty goals because these are academic issues,” Xu said. “Getting an academic policy changed is not like getting a different-flavored salad dressing in the dining halls.”

Xu said she hopes to make the Academic Committee more transparent if she is elected.

“When you’re talking about any sort of student group or student government, you can’t work independently from the student body,” she said. “Being approachable and open and letting everyone know what we’re doing will make the Academic Committee more a part of student life.”

One of Xu’s specific goals to this end is to improve academic advising for Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and Medill School of Journalism students. She said she would like to see an academic advising policy similar to that of the McCormick School of Science and Engineering implemented for all students.

“A lot of students in Weinberg and in Medill don’t get the advising that they should,” she said. “I think it’ll be great if we establish some sort of system where the students can sign up for an advising slot with their advisor. … It’s something that’s do-able and important.”

Nina Kim, Xu’s friend and campaign manager, said Xu would make a good candidate because she is very thorough.

“She has a great general work ethic as an engineering major,” the Medill junior said. “Also, being from an Asian family, she’s really influenced by the Confucian ideology.”

Kim said Xu’s experience as a community assistant at Bobb Hall last year has helped her to be more “approachable and personable.”

“She’s already been in a position where people came to her with problems and she tried to help them out,” Kim said. “If there’s anyone anywhere with a problem regarding academic issues, I know Xu will be very responsive to student’s needs.”

Xu’s friend Kate Yeskey said Xu’s motivation is a positive asset for the position.

“She’s really motivated and an overachiever in a good way,” the Communication junior said. “She’s the type of person who would do it all, and then some.”

Reach Paul Takahashi at [email protected].