A Heartfelt Goodbye To My Fans

By David KalanThe Daily Northwestern

George Carlin once said, “If you love someone set them free. If they come back, set them on fire.”

Never before the past 8 weeks have I come so to grips with that quotation. But as I write my final Weekly Musings – and quite possibly my final column ever in The Daily – I look back on the past quarter warmly.

I am sure you, dear readers, will miss my excuses to talk New York sports. But I will miss you all even more.

The memories of being asked to leave the newsroom for kicking chairs during last year’s NLCS are special, but nothing measures up to the feedback of those I work for: all of you.

Apparently, my words truly echoed with the readers, such as the fantasy leaguer who asked me if he should start Mike Kafka, the Evanston resident who informed me my paper printed “garbage” or the alum who gave me a history of 1940s Wildcat football. I promised him a drink in Pasadena the next time NU goes to the Rose Bowl.

But none of them measured up to one letter.

I received it the morning after my heartfelt eulogy to fallen Kentucky Derby winner … what was its name? Zorro?

Barbaro! That’s what it was.

Now, this reader wasn’t alone, but they stood above the rest, even my staff writer who told me I was “sick.”

It started like this:

“I must say, I really pity people like you! You obviously have never cared about an animal in your life … To make fun of Barbaro (or any horse) shows that you have no heart or soul.”

Right to the point. I appreciate that. Beating around the bush can really hamper the strength of your argument, but if you want my attention, give me something cogent right off the bat.

“I grieved over Barbaro much more than I grieved over President Ford, or Reagan, or any President with the exception of JFK. Animals are much more deserving of our grief. People, as a general rule, suck!!!! And you are definitely proof of that!!!!”

Here’s where things get unfortunate. I, too, have a keen interest in politics, and I won’t keep secret that I am a democrat. But you’ll notice the reader cares not for Ford or Reagan, both Republicans, while the Democrat JFK is spared malice.

I understand donkeys are more closely related to horses than elephants, but is the partisanship really necessary?

“Yes, Barbaro was just a horse, and your kid (if you have any, although I can’t imagine anyone wanting to reproduce with you) is just a kid. Why show any love? I have 3 horses (2 are my husband’s) and all three of them are more intelligent than you. And I’m sure that even if they could, they wouldn’t make fun of your death – they have too much class.”

The reader has finally hit my emotional sore spot. Much of my personal torture is a result of having not yet sired a colt of my own. Chalk this up to me being a mere 21-year-old college student if you wish, but we all know the truth.

“You’re are an ignorant bastard!!”

No, that’s not a typo. I guess they didn’t check their grammar.

Also both of my parents are alive and well, so I’m not quite sure where this comes from. Frankly, I feel like it takes away from the validity of her argument as a whole.

That said, it is the personal connection on display here that I will miss. These have been a special few quarters I have edited for this fine paper, and as I move on, keep in mind that it is you, the readers, that I care about.

You’re are the reason I tried so hard. I will miss you.

Sports Editor David Kalan is a Weinberg senior. He can’t wait to see his friends or daylight again. Reach him at [email protected].