Niteskool Draws Up-And-Coming Bands To NU

Niteskool didn’t have to hang a single flier or brush a drop of paint on The Rock to generate buzz for their upcoming concert. Their featured bands – Man Man and Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s – already have campus indie fans counting down to the Feb. 9 show.

Due to a late contract signing with the bands, Niteskool didn’t have much time to publicize the event on campus, says the group’s vice president, Jeff GoodSmith. Word of mouth went a long way in advertising the concert, though.

“I think all I did was send out one listserv e-mail to the WNUR people,” says GoodSmith. “Already one kid sent me an e-mail back where he was so excited, he just hit the keyboard with his hands for about three lines.”

Both Man Man and Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s are known for their high-energy, entertaining live shows.

“I can say without hyperbole that Man Man is the most insane, energetic live show you’ll ever see at Northwestern,” says GoodSmith.

Niteskool, which has previously brought acts such as Chin Up Chin Up and Appleseed Cast to campus, had logistical difficulties booking bands this year. Contract difficulties and budget limitations complicated the process, but GoodSmith said the upcoming show is certainly not to be missed.

“To have two well-know bands like Man Man and Margot & the Nuclear So and So’s, I think that’s worth checking out.”

Niteskool’s Battle of the Bands winner, NU’s The Monocles, will open the concert.

Students tired of trekking downtown for high-quality bands will have to look no farther than the Louis Room in Norris. The cost also couldn’t be more convenient, says GoodSmith.

“It costs $3, which is ridiculous. That’s cheaper than a Norris Starbucks’ tall latte!”

-Kate Bernot