New Year, New Chance To Keep Up With News

By Elizabeth KeatingThe Daily Northwestern

In the early days of 2007, New Year’s resolutions are honed, self- enforced and hopefully not abandoned entirely. Students may want to lose weight, study harder or go out more. But there are probably few college students who resolve to spend more time catching up on news.

College students tend to settle into their university bubble and ignore the headlines. Fair-weather readers may find some stories inaccessible – there are admittedly many names, faraway places, dense topics and a staggering number of news outlets to choose from. Even deciding between The Daily, the Trib and CNN could make an amateur’s head spin.

Yet, breaking through the Northwestern bubble to stay in tune with current events is a critical component of real world preparation. The headlines may seem dominated by a far-off war and a distant Presidential race, but the news is remarkably relevant to a student’s everyday life.

The front page of Wednesday’s New York Times alone would resonate with NU students from all walks of Sheridan Road.

For ambitious seniors and Googtube enthusiasts, one article examines what Google seeks in job applicants. SESP students and Teach For America hopefuls can learn about the overhauling of the American middle-school system. Those desperately missing their European study abroad would reconsider the perks of America after reading that the euro is at a three-week high. Birthright returnees and Israel devotees can read the obituatry of Israel’s most famous mayor. And to satisfy everyone, an article reports that researchers found education is a chief factor in living longer (more time to pay off student loans!). All this on the front page of one newspaper that’s free in dining halls.

Beyond the constant grind of flavor-of-the-month studies, deaths and market shifts, skipping the news means being ignorant of events that shape our generation. The Duke lacrosse case was widely seen as a lethal cocktail of the “Entitlement Generation” going a step, or several, too far. Time magazine naming “You” the person of the year reflects the new ways we communicate. The year 2006 also brought major employment changes in the media, technology and health industries in which many NU students plan to build careers.

Finding extra time isn’t impossible. Traditional TV newscasts are on midday, late afternoon and early evening hours when many students are around their televisions, and a lot can be gleaned from watching the first five minutes alone. Most newspapers are partially free online and most news Web sites have newscasts to download to your iPod for the walk to class. If a daily commitment is too much, Time, Newsweek and The Economist are great for summing up big stories and zooming in on trends.

So, as the first week of 2007 comes to a close, consider adding a late resolution to your list, and get better acquainted with the present that’s shaping your future.

Medill junior Elizabeth Keating can be reached at [email protected].