ASG Considers Polling Students On CTECs, Movie Service

By Paul TakahashiThe Daily Northwestern

Northwestern’s Associated Student Government will take up the issue of CTECs again tonight, debating the establishment of an online poll to gauge campus opinion on mandating the posting of student comments.

The CTEC bill, written by Academic Vice President Jordan Fox, would create an online poll on HereAndNow asking students if professors should be required to post on CAESAR the comments students make about their classes for CTECs.

“We’re polling the student body to see if they actually use CTECs and to see about having comments put online,” said Fox, a Communication senior.

This past May, the NU Faculty Senate mandated the posting of the numerical CTEC ratings. These ratings let students evaluate their classes on a scale from 1 to 6, with 6 being the best rating. However, the senate left the release of CTEC comments unresolved. This poll will be an attempt to resolve this issue.

Fox plans to publicize the poll on HereAndNow by asking the presidents of the Residential Hall Association and Residential College Board to email ASG senators and individual dorm presidents, encouraging them to inform their constituents about the poll.

ASG will also debate the creation of another student-opinion poll to evaluate interest in NUFlix, a proposed service modeled on NetFlix. Like NetFlix, an online service which ships movies to subscribers’ residences, NUFlix would let students order movies online or over the phone and have them delivered to their dorms.

The bill was proposed by Weinberg junior Jillian Nameth, the Hillel senator, and Weinberg sophomore Nate West, the RHA senator.

“Since this project will require student support and involvement, it is important to poll the student body to see if there is interest in this project,” Nameth and West wrote in the bill.

A third bill, written by Student Services Vice President Leah Witt, proposes the formation of a Student Advisory Committee to evaluate how students use Career Services. Designed to be overseen by the Student Services Committee, the proposed advisory group would be composed of seven student members and several key Career Services staffers who would handle the suggestions, comments and concerns of students using Career Services.

The bill hopes to establish a cooperative committee in which members of Career Services and the Student Services Committee can work together to improve Career Services with the help of students, wrote Witt, a Weinberg senior.

Reach Paul Takahashi at [email protected].