Pancakes and syrup and eggs – oh, my

A quick caveat: The Bongo Room will ruin every breakfast that follows. After feasting there, you simply can’t enjoy French toast, pancakes, hash browns or eggs the way you once did. It’s like jumping into a pool after swimming in the ocean, or seeing Franco Zeffirelli’s Romeo and Juliet after watching Baz Luhrmann’s. Or maybe it’s more like listening to a ho-hum hymn after hearing Kanye’s Jesus Walks. It just ain’t the same.

You can find this breakfast-breaker at 1470 N. Milwaukee Avenue, in the thick of Wicker Park, just two blocks from the Damen El stop. The eatery, nestled behind a very unassuming storefront, practically hides itself from passers-by. The wait for a table can get remarkably long on the weekends – up to two hours sometimes – but, if you give them your phone number, the friendly and helpful hosts will call you when your name is up. You’ll then have ample time to wander about the impressively hip and always charming neighborhood.

While the decor – a pistachio pastiche of propeller fans and exposed brick – should not go unnoticed, the menu is the real star: French toast drizzled in apple currant with a side of cinnamon ice cream, pancakes covered in bananas and bathed in white chocolate and caramel sauce, hot cakes topped with strawberries and a nice anglaise. Wash it all down with a wonderfully robust coffee, fresh juice, or one of the many cocktails that’s okay to drink before noon – maybe a mimosa or one of the more daring drinks.

It’s this amalgamation of the two most beloved meals, breakfast and dessert, that wins the hearts of everybody and anybody who dares to dine here. And at $8 to $12 a plate, it’s hardly a financial disaster and worth every penny.

Of course, even the most indulgent diner will spend more time here counting calories than pennies. If that’s a concern, don’t forget their lighter fare, which includes several less creative – but, of course, equally tasty – sandwiches and omelets.

Unfortunately, the Bongo Room closes at 2:30 p.m. during the week and 2 p.m. on the weekends, so you’ll have to get up a bit earlier than usual. Keep that in mind when you embark for the best brunch you’ll find this side of anywhere.