Acing his finals

While some star collegiate athletes bolt their bastions of higher learning after one productive season, others stick around, push their teams to more success and delay their professional careers so they can graduate from the school they put so much effort into, both on and off the field.

In another month or so, Barry Cofield will join these ranks when he gets his diploma on the same field he wreaked so much havoc on for opposing offenses for seasons at NU.

Before the NFL Draft, Cofield had worked out for several teams and had the chance to meet coaches and current players to give him an idea of where he will be playing for the next few years.

“It’s surreal to meet all these people and have them get to know you,” Cofield said. “This has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. I’m already having a hard time studying for classes.”

Which reminds you he is still enrolled in school.

When the defensive tackle leaves Northwestern, he will head for the bright lights of New York.

But while other students may follow him there, many will be looking for the big time. Cofield, however, has already found it.

What he found, of course, was the opportunity to play professional football for the New York Giants.

Sitting on a couch with his fiancee, McCormick senior Kendra Armstrong, he was watching Saving Silverman and playing cards on Sunday afternoon when opportunity called.

Actually it was the Giants organization, telling him he had been selected with the 27th pick of fourth round and 124th overall.

“Before, I hadn’t been watching the draft and I had been biting my nails, not having the stomach to watch,” Cofield said. “It was such a great feeling. I was, I mean am, so excited.”

Cofield had flown home to Cleveland for the weekend and was feeling the support of his family and Armstrong, whom Cofield has dated for six years.

“I’m really excited. It has been his goal for such a long time,” Armstrong said. “I’m so glad he reached his goal, and we are all so proud of him.”

Cofield’s success began when he was recruited by coach Randy Walker out of Cleveland Heights High School, where he was a four-sport star.

As a true freshman at NU, he saw limited time but made a strong effort in the offseason to be named a starter in his sophomore season.

He had a breakout season his junior year with five sacks and 52 tackles.

He only improved during his senior season, in which he recorded 6.5 sacks and 63 tackles in addition to being a co-captain. He was also named Second-Team All-Big Ten and grabbed an interception that he returned 16 yards in his regular season finale against Illinois.

Aside from all these accolades, Cofield will be graduating in June with a degree in Communication Studies and Sociology.

Once he joins the Giants for the rookie mini-camp on May 12, he will be in the presence of head coach Tom Coughlin and later will be part of a defensive front that includes All-Pro ends Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan.

“They are two great defensive ends and pass rushers,” Cofield said. “They will make my job pretty easy.”

Cofield will be playing primarily nose-tackle for the Giants to utilize his run-stopping abilities that made him a star at NU.

For him, leaving NU will be hard, but it is just a step toward beginning the next chapter in his football career.

“I want people to remember me as a hard-working guy,” Cofield said, “and as the guy you want to play next to, and above all, a good friend.”

Reach Brian Regan at [email protected].