Lacrosse’s fate, NU’s next QB among spring questions (Column)

Along with the possibility that the sun might start giving off heat again comes the time for the forgotten sports at Northwestern: spring sports season.

Below is a list of the top 10 questions of the spring, each of which will be answered in the coming months.

1 Can NU lacrosse win a second-straight NCAA championship?

The Cats have already knocked off two ranked teams on the road this year, and have arguably the best lacrosse player in the country in junior Kristen Kjellman. They probably won’t lose a game this season, but if they do, it had better be before the NCAA tournament.

2 Who will replace Baz under center for NU?

Redshirt freshman C.J. Bacher has the obvious advantage because he has been in the system for two years, but don’t be surprised if by the end of the spring football season freshman Mike Kafka is named Brett Basanez’s successor. Kafka definitely has the talent to be NU’s next quarterback, he just has to catch up to what Bacher learned in his extra year. And honestly, how could Randy Walker pass up the chance for a Kafka to Hamlett (as in redshirt freshman running back Gerard Hamlett) connection?

3 Will NU golfer Dillon Dougherty make the cut at the Masters?

It doesn’t matter. Dougherty has the opportunity to play in one of the best sporting events in the world with Tiger, Phil, Vijay and the rest of the gang. The case can be made that this is the story of the year at NU, but unfortunately for Dougherty, people don’t follow golf.

4 Will the women’s tennis team get over its NCAA tournament hump?

Coach Claire Pollard has led NU to the Big Ten title in all seven of her years in Evanston, but the Cats haven’t been able to make it past the round of 16 in the NCAA tourney. If last year’s freshman phenom Audra Cohen didn’t transfer to Miami (Fla.) after the season, NU would probably be the favorite to win it all this time around. The Cats can still make a run this year, as they currently are ranked sixth.

5 Will the women’s softball team qualify for the College World Series?

With defending national champion Michigan in the conference, it will be hard to win the Big Ten. But NU returns first-team All-America and reigning Big Ten player of the year Garland Cooper and pitchers Courtnay Foster and Eileen Canney, so the Cats should at least get back to the NCAA Super Regional.

6 Can Dan Brauer pitch NU into the Big Ten tourney?

Brauer sat out last season with an injury, and the Cats missed their would-have-been ace. He’s started three games this year, striking out 20 batters in 10 innings with a 2.12 ERA. Six of 10 teams make it to the conference tournament, and behind Brauer, NU should be one of them this year.

7 Can men’s tennis return to the NCAA tournament?

The Cats had to win six of their final eight matches to make it to .500 and earn a birth into the tourney field last year. At 6-7, NU is off to a mediocre start, and with only one senior on the roster it will be tough to end the season with an even record.

8 Will Pat McMahon hit .400 again?

McMahon hit .400 last season, becoming the first NU player to reach the mark since now-MLB all-star Mark Loretta. Through eight games this season he is hitting .226, so at least so far McMahon has returned to Earth.

9 Can the women’s golf team overcome a roster with no seniors?

The Cats’ goal is to make it to the NCAA championships. With their best golfer possibly a freshman (Jennifer Hong), don’t be too optimistic for it to happen this year.

10 Will Matt Grevers repeat as NCAA champion in the 100 backstroke?

Spring is the forgotten season for a reason, so I had to cheat and put a winter sport in here to get a 10th question. The NCAA titles aren’t decided until a couple of days after spring officially starts, so technically this fits.

Deputy sports editor Abe Rakov is a medill sophomore. He can be reached at [email protected].