NCDC project has NU clicking needles, winding yarn

Knitting needles, yarn and volunteers are all Northwestern Community Development Corps needs to make this winter a bit warmer for those in need.

The group launched a new project this quarter, gathering students to knit clothing to donate to Evanston nonprofit groups. Participants have made about a dozen scarves so far, but the goal is to donate 25 scarves and hats to Evanston homeless shelters and women’s centers by the end of the quarter, according to project organizers.

The project differs from many of NCDC’s volunteer opportunities because participants meet several times over the quarter to work in groups and take knitting lessons instead of volunteering for one day at a site. NCDC site leader Sue Pak, a Weinberg junior, said she proposed the idea after doing a similar long-term project in high school.

“I wanted to do something that could be done throughout the quarter,” she said.

Volunteers with no knitting experience are learning the basics in weekly lessons at Close Knit Inc., 622 Grove St. More experienced knitters have been working independently throughout the quarter. In the next few weeks, NCDC will organize knitting parties where all the project’s volunteers can gather to work and socialize, Pak said.

Sarah Song, NCDC community outreach co-chair, said she hopes to continue the program next quarter. Volunteers hopefully will learn to crochet and craft more difficult items, she said. Song, a Weinberg senior, said the group hopes to donate 100 items by the end of the school year.

The project has gotten some charitable help of its own. SESP senior Katie McHugh was able to donate a few pairs of knitting needles and several balls of yarn through her mother, who works in a knitting store.

McHugh, an experienced knitter, said she liked having an opportunity to help the Evanston community. She plans to host a general knitting session off campus this weekend.

“There are a ton of people who know how to knit, and I’m glad that there’s some type of group that’s trying to get them together to make things to donate,” she said.

Close Knit also is contributing to the project. Store owner Lucie Sinkler said NCDC approached her with the idea, and she agreed to provide free knitting lessons and give participants a discount on needles.

“I thought that was a nice idea to do that,” she said. “I feel comfortable with helping out Northwestern students because we’re in the neighborhood.”

Because the project is ongoing and less structured than other events, nearly anyone can get involved, Song said. She said she hopes the recent knitting craze among young people will attract more students to the knitting sessions.

“It’s a great chance for people to just get together, knit and talk,” she said.

Reach Angela Chang at [email protected].