In Review: Give documentary ‘fighting’ chance

Why We Fight is quite the Bunker Buster; it penetrates the American military monster like a precision missile, and then does what missiles do best these days – detonate without anyone noticing.

That is, perhaps, this film’s greatest flaw: that no one will notice it. Nevertheless, the film still astounds with or without the nation-sized audience it deserves.

Written and directed by Eugene Jarecki, this compelling documentary opens with Eisenhower’s closing address, during which he mentioned America’s dangerous potential for imperialistic power and the presence of what he called the “military-industrial complex.”

This snippet of Ike’s speech – mind you, a Republican president – serves as the thesis statement of the film, arguing that maybe America fights for more than just freedom.

Certainly, this is no new concept. Many critics cite this as the film’s greatest weakness: It tackles a topic already addressed time and time again in essays and other films. Yet no one has tackled the topic with as much class, precision and integrity.

With interviews featuring both liberal and conservative luminaries, Jarecki manages to squelch partisan complaints. Jarecki also effectively targets the hyphen of the military-industry complex – Congress, the oblivious populace and anyone else who facilitates the process. In other words, he goes easy on no one.

Masterfully woven throughout the film is the heartbreaking story of retired New York cop Wilton Sekzer and his son; it steals the show. Sekzer’s story of loss, redemption, betrayal and regret makes the movie something more than another filmic flash in the pan.

Needless to say, this flick should be seen posthaste, and not just by liberals or hip, indie-credible cineastes. Why We Fight deserves to be more than just another quiet detonation in the world of non-fiction film.