Springing ahead: in dead of winter, baseball players eager to take field (Baseball)

Spring, usually the season of rebirth and renewal, brings back flowers, leaves, animals, warmth and – possibly most importantly, depending on who you ask – baseball.

On Feb. 16, pitchers and catchers report to spring training. On Feb. 21, position players report. And from Mar. 3-20, the World Baseball Classic pits 16 of the best teams against each other in the sport’s first true World Series.

But before all that, pitches will be hurled from the college ranks.

For the Northwestern baseball team, Opening Day is tonight, and it couldn’t have come soon enough.

“I love it,” junior pitcher Dan Brauer said. “The beginning of baseball season is always so exciting.”

The baseball team is in sunny Tampa, Fla., today to take on South Florida, a team that consistently winds up in the NCAA tournament.

“South Florida always brings it,” NU coach Paul Stevens said. “Playing there is going to be like going from the refrigerator to the frying pan.”

The Wildcats are trying to build off a 26-28 season last year in which they went 14-18 in the Big Ten. Stevens said the team’s pitching and defense should be strong, but the team isn’t without holes. Its biggest weakness is in the outfield, which Stevens said he cannot address until they’ve played some games.

Stevens’ goals for the team include getting a berth for the Big Ten Tournament (the top eight qualify), which the Cats have been absent from since 2003, and to have success once they get there. In 2003, the Cats lost both tournament games by a combined score 14-1.

Stevens said the team’s preseason drills and game scenarios have helped them immensely. The players seem to have latched on to his optimistic outlook on this season.

The Cats are returning most of last year’s starters, but one of the players who figures to grab attention is outstanding freshman shortstop Tommy Finn.

“A lot of freshmen have contributed a lot after adjusting to the system,” Brauer said. “We have such a speedy infield, and Tommy looks great.”

After missing last season due to a torn labrum, Brauer wants to do everything he can to help his team this year. The two-time third team all-Big Ten pitcher said he wants to take his season one pitch and one inning at a time.

Cats’ ace pitcher George Kontos is ready for another productive season after he led the team in ERA (5.43), strikeouts (55) and wins (5) last year. The team will count on the righthander to be a workhorse like he was last season, when he pitched 68 innings and had three complete games.

The team also returns junior second baseman Caleb Fields, who missed 28 games due to two injuries last season but was dangerous when he was in the lineup. Fields hit safely in 15 of 26 games and had a .429 batting average in 14 Big Ten starts.

“We have all the tools,” Fields said. “We’re young in the infield, but experienced.

If the Cats want to get a rhythm to begin the season, they will have to do it on the road, as they do not have a home game until April 7 against Indiana. Evanston’s frigid climate keeps the team and its fans away until the weather becomes more bearable.

While the Cats are flying around the country avoiding their cold home, several of the players said they’ll be watching the professionals – Albert Pujols of the Dominican Republic, Roger Clemens of the United States, Johan Santana of Venezuela, Mike Piazza of Italy, just to name a few – playing ball around the world.

“I love the amount of national pride that is going into (the WBC),” said senior left fielder Anthony Wycklendt, who was named a third team preseason all-American in December. “I’d give anything to play for my country.”

Wycklendt isn’t alone in that regard, but for the time being he’ll have to settle for playing for his school.

“We just need to keep up what we’ve been doing,” Wycklendt said. “Hopefully we can out there and surprise some people.”

Reach Brian Regan at [email protected].