Changing the ‘Cat: NU revises Willie standards

It isn’t easy being a six-foot tall, purple-clad cat.

Just ask Justin Welke and John Pappas, two of the four student volunteers who played Willie the Wildcat until all four were fired in January. One month later, Welke and Pappas finally felt comfortable revealing their identity and speaking about the program they left behind.

The Willies were dismissed when Northwestern’s athletic department told them they “weren’t meeting standards,” said Welke, a McCormick junior who began playing Willie in fall 2004. The volunteers were not given a warning or notice before they were fired, and were told that the mascot program needed to be re-evaluated, he said.

“For a group of guys who do this out of pride for Northwestern, to be kicked to the curb really hurt,” Welke said.

Mark Murphy, director of athletics and recreation, acknowledged that the Willies had been let go but declined to comment on the reasons for the firing or on the program’s reevaluation. Commenting “would be publicly criticizing individuals,” Murphy said.

Brad Hurlbut, associate director for intercollegiate administration, also declined to speak about the dismissal. Cheerleading Coach Chris Garwood sent an e-mail to The Daily several weeks ago in which he declined to comment. He did not respond to several subsequent e-mails and phone messages.

Murphy said the current Willies, hired Jan. 22, signed policy agreement contracts with the athletic department. Willies did not sign contracts in the past, he said. The mascot program, previously managed by the cheerleading staff, will now also be managed by the athletic marketing department, Hurlbut said.

Welke said he believed the firing might have been related to the Willies’ absence at several events during Winter Break. The volunteers also got in trouble when they staged an abduction Oct. 18 as an initiation ritual, Welke said. They picked up freshman Willies at the U.S. Bank ATM on the 600 block of University Place, blindfolded them and drove them to Ryan Field. Witnesses reported the incident to the police. The five mascots involved were punished and not allowed to travel with the football team for the remainder of the regular season, Welke said.

“There was absolutely no hazing involved,” Welke said. “It was completely in good fun. It’s an impressive tradition when they see the whole stadium, Willie’s home.”

The mascot program had been a challenge because the student volunteers managed it on their own, Pappas said. It is part of the cheerleading program, but the volunteers ran tryouts and bi-weekly practices, planned schedules and booked private parties, the Communication junior said.

Student volunteers paid for expenses like costume repairs and travel to the Big Ten Mascot Challenge, but were not reimbursed, Pappas said. He submitted receipts for reimbursement several weeks ago but has not heard back from the athletic department.

The volunteers also had to maintain the one functioning costume, Pappas said. Pieces of Willie’s mask often broke off, and Pappas used super glue and duct tape to secure the parts the week after the Sun Bowl, he said.

The volunteers don’t get the benefits NU athletes receive, such as parking passes at games, access to tutors and discounted textbooks, Pappas said.

Other universities provide more perks and assistance for their mascots.

The University of Iowa provides its mascot program with a budget for uniforms, repairs, travel and camp training, said Gregg Niemiec, University of Iowa spirit coordinator. The four to six students who play Herky the Hawk have access to the Athletic Learning Center and tutors, he said.

The seven students playing the University of Wisconsin’s Bucky Badger sign the same agreement as other athletes, said Brian Leitzke, a Wisconsin senior and mascot. Repairs and additional costs are managed by the spirit squad director, who also handles mascot tryouts and scheduling, Leitzke said.

Dave Johnson, a Penn State senior who plays the Nittany Lion, said all mascots understand the time commitment and costume conditions required of them.

“It’s a ridiculous job,” Johnson said. “The amount of time and sweat you put into it is worth it, though.”

Welke and Pappas said they knew what they were getting into when they auditioned to be Willie. But Welke said the lengthy hours in the suit often proved demanding.

“It’s not easy sitting in that costume for five hours,” Welke said. He said the suit could get hot and volunteers sometimes became dehydrated.

The one Willie that was taken to the Sun Bowl got sick, Welke said. That volunteer did not respond to several e-mails and phone messages.

“Willie does a lot of things, and we deserved to have more than one there,” Welke said. “The Willie that was there was bleeding and throwing up and it wasn’t safe. That doesn’t make us want to do this job.”

The volunteers were allowed to reapply for the program, and one was rehired. He declined to comment publicly.

Welke was unable to attend January’s tryout for the new Willie, but has been trying to re-enter the mascot program, he said. He submitted a three-page proposal for program improvements, but has not been allowed to rejoin, he said.

“It’s an honor to be Willie,” Welke said. “I don’t want to give up on it. As a student here you can’t just jump in the Willie suit. Willie walks a certain way, laughs a certain way. I’ve offered my assistance over and over again. The department has nothing to lose. The new guys have no one to teach them the traditions of Northwestern.”

Reach Margaret Matray at [email protected].