Young guard asserts himself in victory (Men’s Basketball)

MINNEAPOLIS – If Northwestern coach Bill Carmody had any worries about Sterling Williams’ aggressiveness in his first Big Ten road game, the freshman guard silenced all doubts five minutes into Saturday’s game.

With Minnesota’s 6-foot-9 forward Spencer Tollackson standing in the paint, Williams penetrated into the heart of the Golden Gophers’ defense. Rather than pulling up or passing out of the lane, the 6-4 guard took the ball right at Tollackson.

Williams converted a traditional three-point play, absorbing a Tollackson foul and hitting the layup.

With that, Williams embarked on a career day, eclipsing or tying career bests in points (15), assists (6), minutes (31) and field goals made (5) and attempted (11).

“At first I was a little slower to come along in the first few games,” Williams said. “I was always confident but maybe a little tentative. The more and more I play, I’m gaining more confidence and my teammates are gaining confidence in me.”

He showed few signs of timidity in the second half, coming out on the Cats’ first possession of the half and nailing the first 3-pointer of his NU career.

And with 32 seconds remaining and Minnesota within six points, Williams showed the cool of a veteran, sinking two free throws to all but seal the NU victory.

Carmody said he was impressed with his young guard.

“Sterling looked good to me … I was happy with the way he played,” Carmody said. “He helped run the team real well.”

Carmody eased Williams into the NU lineup through the first 13 games, after the guard redshirted last season. The Chicago native played a total of just 24 minutes in the Cats’ first four games, but Carmody said he knew that for his team to be successful, Williams would have to contribute.

Williams began to see more playing time starting with the game against DePaul in November. But the guard has really taken off in senior swingman Mohamed Hachad’s absence in the last two games.

With Hachad recovering from an appendectomy, Williams played a key defensive role in Wednesday’s win against Purdue and continued his strong all-around play at Minnesota.

“Mohamed is probably irreplaceable, so I’m just doing what I can, doing what I do,” Williams said. “I try to provide energy, rebound, defend, move the ball and look for a shot when I have it.”

Williams did just that on Saturday. He showed the aggressiveness of Hachad, with his long wing-span disrupting the Golden Gophers on defense, collecting two steals and two blocks. And he conjured up memories of former NU guard Jitim Young, also a Chicago product, with grit and toughness on the offensive end and in the paint.

With the return of Hachad likely against Penn State on Wednesday, the Cats regain their best rebounder and second-leading scorer. Williams, who gained confidence in the last two games, will probably not be lost in the fold when Hachad gets back on the court.

Saturday proved that.

Reach Scott Duncan at [email protected].