All-around fun on Southport Avenue

One street in Chicago will solve all of your problems – or at least all of your problems about what to do this weekend.

North Southport Avenue, one El stop away from Belmont on the CTA Brown Line, has everything to offer for cold days and hot nights in the city. A visitor glides from bygone days of drama at the old movie palace, Music Box Theatre, 3733 N. Southport Ave., to the sophisticated subtlety of a New York-style lounge at the nightspot Sopo, 3418 N. Southport Ave. – swinging by boisterous bars, restaurants and shops along the way.

Lucky for those enjoying the area’s daytime shopping and nighttime bar-hopping, Southport offers one spot to cool you down at all hours.

Julius Meinl Cafe, 3601 N. Southport Ave., brings a taste of the Viennese “kaffeehaus” to Chicago. Each patron who enters is taken away from the bustling street, absorbed by the swirling smells of pastries, the warmth of the butter-colored walls and the cushiony chairs and loveseats scattered throughout the room.

Unlike many coffeeshops dominated by cliche clientele, Julius Meinl’s regulars fit no stereotype. Cool, young hipsters discuss philosophy over soy lattes while, one table over, an older couple holds hands over exotic teas. Whether you come alone, with your friends or with a date, Julius Meinl receives its guests with friendly arms. Its personable wait staff greets its newcomers with a smile and treats patrons like old friends.

Every order is served on a silver tray with the little touches – a fresh glass of water, an individually-wrapped cookie – that we wish every coffeehouse offered. And Julius Meinl’s history is as rich and flavorful as its coffee. The chain claims to have been the first coffeehouse in Europe to freshly roast coffee beans and prides itself on the tradition. Other than its coffee, Julius Meinl offers a wide array of teas, smoothies and other hot and cold drinks. The freshly-baked pastries – light sugar cookies, dark chocolatey cakes and apfelstrudel – seduce customers from under a glass case, taunting patrons to try one more tart or croissant.

Julius Meinl Cafe is open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday, from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday, from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday.

– Caitlin Grogan