A battle for a bowl game

There’s no playoff system in Division I college football, but Northwestern’s match-up against Iowa on Saturday is like a first-round game.

The winner will become bowl eligible and technically stay in the hunt for the Big Ten title, while the loser will miss out on an early chance at a bowl game berth.

“It’s almost like looking in the mirror right now,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. “Both us and Northwestern are probably in a very similar circumstance.”

Iowa (5-3, 3-2 Big Ten) wasn’t supposed to be in the same situation as NU (5-3, 3-2), as it was picked to finish third in the conference.

But Ferentz said he doesn’t begin the season with preconceived notions.

“I’ve never been one to get locked into what expectations might have been,” he said. “We’re 5-3 right now, I know this is a very important month for us.”

Like his team, Iowa junior quarterback Drew Tate – Sporting News’ preseason No. 4 quarterback in the country – hasn’t quite lived up to expectations this year.

While he is the third-most efficient passer in the conference, Tate averages 204.2 passing yards a game, which is eighth in the Big Ten.

But he has done enough to impress NU coach Randy Walker.

“Drew is an experienced player who was an outstanding football player last year and is just growing and growing,” Walker said. “He’s making good decisions with the football, his TD to interception rate is exceptional.”

The Hawkeyes’ offense is led by sophomore runningback Albert Young, who missed all but two games last season with a knee injury. He is fifth in the Big Ten in rushing, gaining more than 108 yards on the ground a contest.

NU senior defensive lineman Barry Cofield said he’s surprised Iowa’s offense hasn’t scored more, and he is impressed with the athleticism of its offensive line.

“They’re a team that wants to run the ball, and if you can’t stop them from running they’ll run it every down,” Cofield said.

On the other side of the ball, Iowa counters a defense that gives up fewer than 372 yards a game, fourth-best in the Big Ten. The Hawkeyes also boast two of the best linebackers in the conference.

Iowa senior linebacker Chad Greenway is tied with NU senior linebacker Tim McGarigle for the most tackles in the Big Ten, while Greenway’s senior teammate, linebacker Abdul Hodge, is third.

“Everybody in the Big Ten has good linebackers,” junior wide receiver Shaun Herbert said. “So we respect them, but we’re not afraid of them.”

The game will be the final home contest for the NU’s seniors, as the Cats final two contests come on the road.

Walker said he expects his team to rebound this weekend coming off the disappointing loss to Michigan a week ago.

“I think (the Hawkeyes) are playing their best football,” Walker said. “I know we’re going to have to play awfully well. But I fully expect our kids to respond the right way.”

Reach Abe Rakov at [email protected]