Highs and Lows

Thumbs up to the White Sox

Finally, a Chicago team has made it to the World Series.

And it’s not everyone’s favorite – the over-hyped and underachieving Cubs.

It’s the Chicago White Sox, a team that tried as hard as it could to blow a 15 game division lead. Thankfully a new kind of Sox reigns over baseball.

First the White Sox sent those tools called the Boston Red Sox home. Red Sox Nation must be devastated! The players in this year’s World Series actually shower regularly.

Then the pitching staff completely dominated the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, throwing three consecutive complete games.

Let’s hope the pitching staff can have the same success against the Houston Astros that they had against the Angels. Odds are Roger Clemens, Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettitte won’t be giving up much.

Let’s hope all the Cubs fans out there embrace the White Sox. Sure their fans are blue-collar and their stadium is rarely full, but let’s embrace good baseball anytime we see it.

Also, please don’t throw the series! Sorry, it had to be said.

Thumbs down to fake abductions

The student organization that staged an abduction on campus as part of an initiation rite must have been out of their mind. Really, what were you thinking? In the past two weeks, four students have been attacked or robbed in Evanston. We’re already on high alert. Even if we weren’t already looking over our shoulders, a public stunt like that on University Place is going to draw a few 911 calls.

Because of these students’ immature actions, University Police spent Wednesday night dealing with a fake crime instead of patrolling the streets to prevent real ones.

The university has repeatedly said that student safety is a top priority. The administration should take a zero-tolerance stance on this and press charges against the students involved, if they can.

We’re having flashbacks to another fake crime Fall Quarter two years ago. We don’t need another Xander.

Thumbs down to panhel –

– for taking themselves way too seriously by establishing guidelines for the facebook.com. Under the new guidelines, sorority members can’t post pictures of themselves drinking, say that a given sorority is the somehow the “best” or “hottest,” and are discouraged from “friending” freshmen. Oh, and “poking” is strictly prohibited, although we doubt that Panhel has any idea what “poking” means anyway (not that we do).

Okay, we know that rules governing sorority rush are generally pretty arcane and over-the-top – but is it really necessary to regulate virtual interaction? Can’t we all just lighten up a bit?

Panhel and Greek Life expressed worries that certain girls might get their feelings hurt if they’re friended but not asked to join the girls the house of the girls that friended them. Oh, c’mon. Feelings always get hurt – that’s what happens when people are turned away from exclusive organizations. Stop trying to get everyone to play nicey-nice and just let sororities be.

Maybe it’s just that members of Panhel and Greek life need to be “poked” themselves. They seem a bit uptight.

Thumbs up to Charles Moskos –

– for fessing up to his cheating past. Sociology Prof. Moskos candidly told The Daily how he cheated on a final exam as an undergraduate at Princeton University. This personal experience might explain why NU’s most famous professor is one of the few profs who posts old tests on Blackboard. By being so candid, the unapologetically un-politically correct military sociologist proved he thinks honesty is the best policy. Unless you’re gay and in the military.

Highs and Lows reflects the opinion of The Daily’s editorial board.