Jesus never ran for president

I admit it. I’m a Christian. And I know that at a place like Northwestern, such a profession of faith may forfeit all my credibility – but it’s true.

However, I’ve seen so much media coverage of popular American Christianity recently that I became confused as to the proper relationship between faith and contemporary politics.

Over the past few months, I’ve discussed my query with several intelligent friends and family members, Christian and not, and I figured a few things out.

What did I discover about the political issues facing Christians today?

They shouldn’t matter.

Politically prominent Christians, like President Bush, obsess over matters that are largely irrelevant to belief in Jesus. To me, it’s shocking how so many people who claim to follow Jesus overlook such crucial parts of his ministry.

For example, the stories about Bush’s new U.S. Supreme Court nominee, Harriet Miers, fascinate me. I just can’t understand how her Christian conversion and faith have morphed into political points of contention.

First, these concerns seem to me an obviously unconstitutional unification of church and state. More importantly though, I doubt that Miers’ savior even cares about politics.

If I apply “What Would Jesus Do” – a useful, albeit dopey, test – I realize that Jesus never wasted time lobbying the Roman Senate on political problems. He was too busy healing the sick and loving the unlovable.

Politics and politicians did not concern Christ. He cared about normal individuals, no matter what their ethnicity, health or social status.

We’ve all seen or heard about Christians who vilify secular opinions. Like preaching in churches that abortion is murder or battling teachers who say “Darwinism” is not just a theory.

Jesus would have used a different approach. If Christ had lived during the abortion/anti-abortion debate, he would not have fought for either side. The individuals directly affected by abortion are more important than moral and scientific arguments for either side.

I believe he would counsel pregnant teenagers. Christ would give love and support through what is indisputably one of the toughest decisions in a woman’s life.

After Hurricane Katrina, he would never claim that the God wrathfully designed the storm to destroy abortion clinics, as the Columbia Christians for Life did. Jesus would jump at first opportunity to go to Louisiana or Mississippi and bring food, water, and an open arm to anyone who needed help.

After he had returned to his home from the affected cities, I believe it would be wide open to refugees.

Jesus Christ didn’t give a damn about politics. He cared about love.

In a way, Jesus was a hippie a little less than 2000 years before the 1960s made it cool. Hallucinogenic drugs and Vietnam protests aside, it’s not difficult to picture Jesus on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, telling passersby, “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

So when my friends argue about creationism versus evolution, I shut my mouth. If the universe was created in seven days or 7 billion, it doesn’t vex me.

I worry more about encouraging peace and love with all kinds of people, instead of alienating everyone who disagrees with me.

Daily staffer Chris Danzig is a Medill sophomore. He can be reached at [email protected].