NU sweats its way into fitness Top 5

Academics may top Northwestern students’ to-do lists, but Wildcats still find more time to hit the gym than most other college students nationwide, according to a national survey.

The joint report, compiled by The Princeton Review and Men’s Fitness magazine, ranked NU as the fifth-healthiest university in the United States. The survey was based on factors such as access to fitness facilities, healthy meal programs and campus safety rates.

Brigham Young University, the University of California-Santa Barbara, Boston University and the University of Vermont also ranked high on the list.

NU’s ranking surprised some students.

“I would think NU kids would be content to be holed up in their dorm rooms studying,” said Medill senior and former Daily staffer Christina Liao. “I wouldn’t think fitness would really be a priority.”

McCormick graduate student Eugene Soo said he thought that Evanston’s snowy winters would discourage students from exercising.

But Soo also said he was impressed with NU’s accessible, well-maintained fitness equipment.

“In such a small stretch (of campus), there are so many exercise facilities. In a lot of (West) Coast schools, there is better weather but the gyms are always packed,” Soo said. The Singapore native spent a lot of time waiting for fitness equipment during a summer school session at the University of California-Berkeley.

Nancy Tierney, director of fitness and wellness at NU, credited students for the school’s high ranking.

“I think Northwestern students are highly intelligent,” Tierney said. “They know the importance of fitness.”

Between 1,500 and 2,000 people use the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center during an average day, and about half of those are students, she said.

Tierney, who has worked at SPAC since it opened in 1987, said NU continually improves its fitness facilities.

“Every year, we continue to replenish our equipment and add onto facilities,” she said.

Tierney cited room for improvement in stress management among students.

“We are striving to reduce the stress levels of Northwestern students, which are probably higher than normal college students’,” she said.

The University of Louisiana-Lafayette led the list of the fattest colleges, and the University of New Orleans, Mississippi State University, South Illinois University-Carbondale and Portland State University rounded out that list.

Reach Allison Bond at [email protected].