Squad, coach want more than just win

Northwestern won, 2-1, and forward Kelsey Hans scored her fifth goal of the season Friday, but the Wildcats felt their performance left much to be desired.

“It wasn’t the best game,” midfielder Jenny Dunn said. “(The score) should have been more-to-zero.”

After a physical, scoreless first half against Central Michigan (1-4-1), the Cats (6-1-0) struck seven minutes into the second half with midfielder Kelly Sitkowski’s first goal of the season. Hans extended the lead in the 73rd minute and the Cats held off the Chippewas for the win.

Hans constantly made her presence felt in Central Michigan’s half of the field, getting many touches in the 18-yard box and firing six shots.

Before smashing a left-footed volley into the net for the Cats’ second goal, Hans helped set up the first goal with a header that drew a save from the keeper. The ball rebounded to Sitkowski, and she shot it past the goalie.

“I don’t really think about it,” she said. “I just get open.”

After holding Central Michigan to only one shot in the first half, the Cats faced 11 in the second. The Chippewas bolstered their attack by putting three forwards in the game instead of two, a move made in reaction to NU moving one of its defenders into the midfield.

“They were getting a lot more space and time in the midfield,” defender Katie Wright said. “We were pretty much matched up man-to-man in the back.”

Fortunately for the Cats, they were able to respond to the increased pressure and supply some of their own, matching Central Michigan’s second half shot total and forcing six saves from its goalkeeper.

“We came in kind of confident, that’s why we started off a little slow,” Dunn said. “In the second half, we started to realize the win wasn’t going to come to us.”

Although coach Jenny Haigh praised her defenders’ performances, she said the team needed to step up on the defensive end.

Playing a team known for its physicality, the Cats’ committed only four fouls. The Chippewas had 10.

Haigh said this number needed to be much higher.

“Physically, we weren’t aggressive enough,” she said. “We gave them too much time and space.”

This time and space led to the Chippewas’ only goal in the 75th minute, as Central Michigan’s Allison Heydorn ran into the box unmarked and beat goalkeeper Whitney Jones.

Wright said the team needs to improve many aspects of its game before Tuesday’s match against Valparaiso, starting with passion.

“We were pretty lucky to come out with a win,” she said. “We definitely need to pick up our intensity going into the next game.”

As NU prepares for Valparaiso and its conference schedule, Haigh noted that tougher play would be necessary.

“We’re going to have to sharpen up a ton,” she said. “We can’t play like this against Valpo or in the Big Ten, or we’ll get slapped in the face.”

Reach David Morrison at [email protected].