Animate arts major introduces first 4-course sequence

The animate arts interdisciplinary major will launch its introductory four-course sequence on Wednesday and should graduate about 15 students in its first class this year, said computer science Prof. Ian Horswill, one of the program’s creators.

The adjunct major, open to all students, was approved last winter in the School of Communication.

Horswill expects to graduate 10 to 20 students a year and eventually upgrade animate arts from a “minor on steroids” to a full major, he said.

Animate arts integrates visual arts, music, computer programming and film to give students an understanding of the relationship between art and technology, Horswill said.

“There’s a lot in common between the arts and the craft of programming,” Horswill said. “Art is being done with computers and artists need to learn the computer.”

Thirty students enrolled in the major’s first class, Animate Arts II, last spring. They will continue to Animate Arts III this quarter, while new students will begin with Animate Arts I.

“We’re figuring out parts III and IV as we go along,” Horswill said.

Because the introductory sequence includes four courses, students will finish the program in two years. They must also complete elective requirements and a two-quarter senior project.

McCormick senior Vani Oza, a computer science major and Daily staffer, said she might declare an animate arts major because of the program’s flexibility and breadth.

“I’ve always had an interest in art and design and this is a mix of everything I’m interested in,” Oza said.

“The major forces you to tie all different elements together, and because of the great exposure, you can go many ways with the major,” she said.

Although Northwestern previously offered art and technology classes, Horswill said an animate arts major allows students to learn the information they need more efficiently. Students graduating with animate arts majors are in demand because of their expertise in multiple areas, he said.

“People in the game industry are interested (in an animate arts major) because they need people who can communicate with everyone,” Horswill said.

“Often, art people and computer people can’t communicate with one another,” he said.

Horswill said Animate Arts III students will learn game design, flash programming, 3D imaging and sound synthesis from both art and computer science professors.

“This is the right way to do it,” Horswill said. “Students have a blast.”

Reach Margaret Matray at [email protected].