Alumnus returns to U.S. Open greens after 14 years

Northwestern has its fair share of celebrity alumni ranging from actors to congressmen, but professional athletes don’t seem to come out of NU quite as often.

But Jim Benepe, Weinberg ’86, a former NU golf standout and recent participant in the 105th U.S. Open, is helping to further NU’s revolution as a school that produces alumni who find professional success in all walks of life, sports included.

Benepe, 41, beat out a slew of competitors in local and regional events to claim a spot at the U.S. Open, which took place from June 16-19.

It was Benepe’s third time at the event, but this year’s appearance was his first in 14 years. He did not qualify past round two.

“It’s good to see an NU grad show that it’s not just geeks here, that we can go on to success in athletics as well,” said Brian Lyle, a Weinberg junior from Genoa, Ill., “It also proves our testicular fortitude.”

After leading the Big Ten Conference in 1948, NU’s golf team’s success waned. From 1967 to 1983 the golf team finished last in the conference every year. In 1976 NU didn’t even field a team.

Under head coach Wally Goodwin’s leadership in the 1980s, the program was reinvigorated. Through new scholarships and aggressive recruiting, talented golf players started choosing NU. Benepe, a Sheridan, Wyo. native, was one of those players.

Benepe was named First Team All American in 1986 as well as Big Ten co-champion the same year. He owns one of the university’s lowest stroke averages — 73.95.

He turned professional in 1986 and won his first tournament, the Western Open, in 1988. His win over Peter Jacobsen at the event earned the 24-year-old the 1988 Rookie of the Year honor.

“Jim, along with several other former Northwestern golfers, (has) achieved at the pro level for decades,” said Mike Wolf, assistant athletic director.

He played full time on the PGA tour until 1991, not quite matching the success of the 1988 season.

At the end of the 1991 season Benepe hung up his golf bag as a touring pro and pursued other interests.

Benepe is now a part-time pro golfer and works as corporate marketing manager for Phoenix Fuel Corporation. Golf legend Jack Nicklaus is one of his customers.

“As a past champion, I can get into some tournaments, and my goal is to play well enough so I can play in some more,” Benepe said in an interview with the Associated Press.

But the NU alumnus’ return to the professional arena comes as no surprise to Wolf.

“It shows hard work and persistence pay off,” Wolf said. “For him, this time, it resulted in a berth to the U.S. Open.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Reach Laura Moore at [email protected].