Fresh food fills ‘whole’ of cravings

Paige Callahan knows where to find the best apples in town.

The Music junior likes to vary the type she eats — sometimes it’s Gala, sometimes it’s Golden Delicious — and she has found the perfect place to satisfy her cravings: Whole Foods, 1640 Chicago Ave.

Callahan, who eats at Whole Foods about three times a week, said the store supplies not only her favorite apples, but also a break from the monotony of campus dining.

“(The food) isn’t like at the dining halls, where it all just tastes the same no matter what,” Callahan said as she munched on fresh greens from the salad bar.

Whole Foods boasts a wide selection of food in its “pure” state — free of artificial sweeteners, preservatives and other additives.

The restaurant and grocery store, which is often bustling with shoppers and hungry patrons, attracts Northwestern students and Evanston residents alike with its groceries and ready-to-eat fare.

In one stop, customers can shop, buy something to eat and chow down at the tables and booths at the front of the store. Students who don’t have time to stop and eat can also snack on free samples while shopping.

Students provide a large chunk of the store’s business, said Adrienne Saunders, customer service supervisor at Whole Foods. She estimated that at least one-third of the store’s business comes from students.

“We definitely feel the pinch when (students) go away for the summer,” Saunders said.

Popular fare for students includes sandwiches and other portable meals, Saunders said. With a WildCARD, students can get discounts on the store’s pizza.

The store’s proximity to South Campus draws many students.

“It’s so close to campus, and it’s the only grocery store available where you don’t need a car (to get there),” Callahan said.

The store’s variety of prepared cuisine, which includes items such as Thai chicken and sushi, also draws students.

The freshness of the minimally processed restaurant fare and groceries is one of Whole Foods’ assets, students said.

“It just makes you feel healthy,” said Laura Pabalan, a Weinberg junior.

But some students said the store’s higher priced products aren’t worth the extra cash.

“I’m all for healthy food, but when it comes to paying more for it, I’m not so into that,” said Edward Lee, a Communication freshman.

Callahan said the store is pricey, but added the cost doesn’t stop her from going back week after week for her favorites.

“The chocolate chip cookies with walnuts are amazing,” she said, smiling.

Reach Allison Bond at [email protected].