Filing deadline nears for student government races

Although only five students had officially filed their applications for the upcoming Associated Student Government elections by noon on Thursday, ASG election commissioner and temporary rules chairman Gabe Matlin said he expects multiple candidates for each position to declare their candidacy before the Friday filing deadline.

Candidate applications are due by 5 p.m. Friday in the ASG offices on the third floor of Norris University Center.

Four ASG Executive Board positions are up for election: president, executive vice president, academic vice president and student services vice president.

As of Thursday, only one member of the current Executive Board had filed to run for re-election in their position. Communication Junior Howard W. Buffett, executive vice president, officially declared his candidacy for EVP and on Thursday was the only student running for that position.

ASG President Jane Lee is graduating this year and Student Services Vice President Alex Lurie is not running for re-election.

Academic Vice President Prajwal Ciryam will not run again for the same position and has not filed a candidate application yet, but told The Daily that he will declare his candidacy for ASG president by Friday.

Two students had officially filed their candidate applications for ASG president on Thursday. Ketica Guter, former coordinator of black student alliance For Members Only, and Patrick Keenan-Devlin, an ASG off-campus senator, have both declared their candidacy for the position.

Only two other applications had been turned in by Thursday, both for the position of academic vice president. Jodi Anderson, a senator for the student volunteer group OASIS, and Jason Downs, a member of ASG’s academic committee, are running.

All candidates must attend a meeting on Saturday at 5 p.m. in the Purdue Room of Norris to be briefed on ASG’s election guidelines and campaign rules by Matlin and other members of the election commission.

One important change to this year’s election guidelines is the removal of the “no confidence” box from the ballot. However, students can still use it as a write-in option.

Candidate debates will be held at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 5, in the Purdue Room for academic vice president and student services vice president and on Thursday, April 7, at the Gathering Place in Norris for executive vice president and ASG president.

Reach Evan Hill at [email protected].

Quick facts:

• Former FMO coordinator Ketica Guter andoff-campus Senator Patrick Keenan-Devlin have filed to run for ASG president.
  • Executive Vice President Howard W. Buffett currently is the only member of the executive board to seek re-election.
  • Five students filed applications by noon Thursday to run for executive board offices.
  • Candidate applications are due by 5 p.m. today in the ASG offices on the third floor of Norris University Center.