March shooting victim released from hospital

An Evanston man who was shot at least three times last week in the lobby of his southwest Evanston apartment building has been released from St. Francis Hospital, hospital officials said Tuesday.

Douglas Wilson, 51, left from St. Francis, 355 Ridge Ave., on Monday, hospital spokeswoman Christine Rybicki said.

Police have arrested and charged two men in the shooting, which happened March 22 in a building on the 1300 block of Dewey Ave., said Cmdr. James Pickett of Evanston Police Department.

Wilson had emergency surgery to treat three gunshot wounds after police found him bleeding on the building’s first floor landing at about 11:30 p.m., Pickett said.

Police arrested Chicago residents Raymar Davis, 30, and Scott Edwards, 32, shortly after the incident, Pickett said.

Police recovered a .38-caliber revolver from Davis, who was wearing a bulletproof vest at the time of his arrest.

Both men are charged with aggravated battery with a firearm. Davis, who has at least two prior convictions, is also charged with unlawful possession of a weapon by a felon.

Wilson’s sister told police she was climbing the stairs to the first floor of the apartment building when she heard five loud bangs, saw flashes of gunfire and heard her brother yell, “I’m shot, call 911!”

She told police a man in dark clothing had been following her and her brother when they were walking toward the front entrance to the building.

The man was one of two she said she noticed hanging around outside the building when her brother had picked her up earlier that evening.

After he was shot, Wilson managed to run up the stairs and then collapsed on the first-floor landing, Pickett said.

Wilson’s sister began pounding for help on an apartment door and did not see where the offenders went, Pickett said.

A man in a neighboring apartment building told police he saw a person dressed in black run through an alley and get into a dark-colored sedan.

Skokie police later stopped a 1995 maroon Chevrolet Caprice that matched the description, Pickett said.

Edwards was the driver of that car, Pickett said. Davis, who was sitting in the front seat, jumped out of the car and ran away when police stopped the vehicle.

Officers from the Skokie Police Department pursued Davis, who had a revolver and was wearing a bulletproof vest with several bullets in the pocket, Pickett said.

Davis told Evanston police he bought the vest from a friend because he wanted to resell it for a profit.

He said he ran away because he was scared about how the police would react to his wearing a bulletproof vest.

Davis told police he and Edwards were just driving around and said he didn’t know how they ended up in Evanston. He said he had never been to Evanston before that evening.

When police questioned Wilson the day after the shooting, he said he has not had any problems with Evanston residents and thinks the incident is a case of mistaken identity.

Wilson was unable to identify his offender from a photo array shown to him by Evanston police while he was in the intensive care unit of St. Francis, Pickett said.

Both Wilson and his sister told police they are willing to testify in court.

Davis and Edwards are scheduled to appear April 12 at Circuit Court in Skokie.

Reach Marissa Conrad at [email protected].