Dorm thefts convince residents to lock doors

After several nighttime thefts, students may need to think about locking their doors before they climb into bed.

Three students who live on the fourth floor of Allison Hall had money stolen from their wallets while they were asleep one night last week, police said.

Almost $100 was stolen from the three students, who all left their doors unlocked while they were asleep Wednesday night, said Asst. Chief Daniel McAleer of University Police. Two of the students are roommates.

Another student on the fourth floor of Allison told The Daily Tuesday that more than $130 was taken from his wallet while he was asleep one night last quarter.

Fourth floor Allison resident assistant Connie Chung said she planned to mention the incidents at the RA staff meeting Tuesday night.

“We need to make sure that our doors are locked and we have better security,” said Chung, a Weinberg junior.

Weinberg sophomore John Wainwright said he woke up at 10 a.m. Thursday and noticed that the fortune cookie fortunes he kept tucked in his wallet were sticking out of the wallet, which he had left on his desk.

About $20 was missing from the wallet, Wainwright said.

Wainwright’s roommate, Weinberg sophomore Sanjay Amin, said $37 was taken from his wallet.

About $40 was taken from the wallet of another fourth floor resident between 3 a.m. and 10 a.m. Thursday, McAleer said.

UP advises students to lock their doors even if they’re only “leaving the room for five minutes,” McAleer said.

Amin said he probably locked his door only six times all year.

“Everyone on this floor knows each other, and we all trust each other,” Amin said.

Allison President Robert Boesel, a Communication sophomore, said he plans to send a letter to the dorm advising students to be more careful about leaving their valuables out.

The incident has prompted at least one Allison resident to start locking his door at night — even if he doesn’t have much to protect.

“We started to (lock the door) after that (theft) happened, but I don’t have any money, so if they want to come rob me, they’re welcome,” said Communication sophomore Asher Alavi, displaying a dish filled with coins that he said was the only money he had.

Alavi lives across the hall from one of the students who was robbed.

In December Medill freshman and fourth floor Allison resident Jason Gumer had $132 taken from his wallet while he was asleep.

Gumer, a Daily staffer, said he never reported the incident to police.

In a separate incident, at least three iPods were stolen from and returned to students who live on the third floor in Elder Hall in the past two weeks, an Elder resident said.

Weinberg freshman Helen Valenstein said she left her door unlocked when she went to class two weeks ago and returned to find her iPod missing.

Valenstein said she discovered the iPod behind her desk a couple of days ago with her name scratched off the back.

“I definitely lock my door now, even if I go to the common room on our floor,” she said.

Reach Marissa Conrad at [email protected]. The Daily’s Daniella Cheslow and Breanne Gilpatrick contributed to this report.