Double-talk helps partners (Men’s tennis)

Two summers ago, senior Tommy Hanus and junior Adam Schaechterle hopped in Schaechterle’s car and traveled around the southwest, playing tournaments outside of school.

Their off-court friendship also translates to their play on court.

The pair, which has a 4-2 record this season, likes to keep things loose on court.

“We like to joke around and make each other laugh,” Schaechterle said. “It cuts down on the nerves.”

With these tactics, Hanus and Schaechterle have found the perfect mix of the three factors coach Paul Torricelli ascribes to a good doubles team: chemistry, communication and consistency.

“It’s not an exact science,” Torricelli said. “There’s no exact recipe for success.”

The Wildcats have notched the doubles point in all but one of their four wins this year.

In their upset of No. 18 North Carolina, senior Chuck Perrin and sophomore Christian Tempke knocked off the No. 9 doubles team in the nation to secure the doubles point for the Cats in the last match before the singles portion.

“We work on doubles quite a bit because it can be such a pivotal point,” Torricelli said. “It makes such a difference going into singles knowing you only have to win three matches, not four.”

After being swept in the three doubles matches against Harvard last weekend, the Cats face Wisconsin (2-2) in both team’s first Big Ten match of the season.

“Wisconsin’s strength is usually their doubles,” Torricelli said. “We expect a battle. They’re going to come in here looking to knock us off.”

While Perrin and Tempke are usually Northwestern’s top doubles team, the duo of Hanus and Schaechterle is the one with the deepest roots.

Hanus and Schaechterle played together for the first time two years ago at the Milwaukee Tennis Classic, where they made it to the finals.

Torricelli said they have been “the most consistent team,” and that they probably could play other schools’ top doubles teams, if not for Perrin and Tempke.

Schaechterle said his experience with Hanus has revealed something about his partner’s tendencies.

“He’s clutch,” Schaechterle said. “He’s used to coming up big and he’s not afraid to play anyone.”

Reach David Morrison at [email protected].