Ecology Center extols winter’s natural beauty

The educators at the Evanston Ecology Center know that the skunk hibernates, and the monarch butterfly does not. They know the exact markings on several different types of rabbits. And they know something else that many other Chicago-area residents may not realize: that an Evanston winter, though cruel and occasionally ferocious, can be both beautiful and informative.

“We want people to have fun outside in winter,” said Karen Taira, one of the Ecology Center’s environmental educators. “So we planned a Winter Fest.”

The center opened its doors, at 2024 McCormick Blvd., for the sixth-annual Winter Fest from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, attracting about 50 children and parents.

Those who braved the weather for the Winter Fest were treated to the Center’s decorated main building. Colorful pictures of Evanston wildlife covered the center’s pale walls. Dried birds’ nests rested in glass display cases.

In the sun-filled main room, volunteers led children in a “smell game,” taught “eskimo games” from diagrams, guided them through craft activities and sold popcorn.

Another audience favorite was the “Valentines for Wildlife” station. At this table, visitors cut heart shapes out of bread, painted the shapes with egg mixture and decorated them with birdseed. Taira encouraged visitors to take the valentines home and hang them outside for local birds to devour.

Gina Clark brought her son to Winter Fest and watched him cut out a valentine.

“It’s great that I can spend time here with my son,” said Clark, who moved to Evanston from California. Asked whether the Winter Fest had improved her opinion of an Illinois winter, Clark replied, “Well, they say winter’s nice. I guess you have to get out and enjoy it.”

True to its outdoors mission, Winter Fest also featured a treasure hunt that directed children from spot to spot on the long, snow-covered lawn. Older children and adults explored the many trails on the center’s property. For some visitors, the outdoor activities proved a much bigger draw than the crafts.

“We came because it’s a gorgeous day, ” said Evanston resident Michelle Palumbo. “I brought my daughter and she loved petting the animals.”

Although Winter Fest originally was planned for younger children, it also draws students from nearby Evanston Township High School. ETHS senior Stephanie Zell volunteers regularly at the center. On Saturday she showed visitors how to fashion key chains from multicolored beads.

“I volunteer every week whenever I can,” Zell said. “I’m interested in the environment and (the center) always needs help.”

Cathy Holleb drove to Evanston from Deerfield for the event.

“I can’t believe we’ve never been here before,” she said after seeing the displays and local art mounted on the walls. “We’re definitely going to pick up a brochure.”

Reach Anika Gupta at [email protected]<.>