Students build skills for future in professional fraternities

Weinberg sophomore Jessica Williamson did not join Alpha Kappa Psi, a business fraternity at Northwestern, solely for social purposes.

“It is a good combination of social and business preparation,” said Williamson, a Fall 2004 pledge, of the co-ed professional fraternity. “I thought A K Psi could expose me to other fields of interest and help me get where I want to go.”

A K Psi, which trains students to be leaders in business, is one of the professional societies on campus. Others are dedicated to chemistry, education and engineering.

“(A K Psi) specializes in preparing students of all majors to develop ethical conduct,” said Sandeep Aula, president of the fraternity.

Aula, a Weinberg senior, said his participation in A K Psi will help him with post-graduate business plans.

“I knew that I wanted to join the business world,” he said. “And I needed to find an outlet to develop the skills needed in preparation for finding a job.”

Unlike traditional Greek organizations under the Panhellenic Association, the rush process for A K Psi does not involve a walk through the Fraternity or Sorority Quads or attending rush events.

Rather, those interested in professional fraternities usually fill out an application and are interviewed.

Williamson said the A K Psi pledges had to study important facts pertaining to the organization. After taking a test, possible pledges had to achieve a certain score to get approval from nationals.

“It’s a really selective process,” Williamson said. “I am pretty sure this is above and beyond what regular sororities have to do.”

Pledges also have to complete a fund-raiser by dividing into sections and competing against each other to become the top fund-raisers.

Sujata Jhaveri, president of pre-law fraternity Phi Alpha Delta, said those interested in the fraternity fill out a page-long application. This year, the organization will begin conducting interviews as well.

The rush process for Phi Alpha Delta will begin toward the end in March.

Like A K Psi, Phi Alpha Delta attracts a variety of people, including pre-law students and those interested in careers as legal educators, attorneys, judges and government officials.

Beyond future careers, camaraderie remains an important aspect.

“Older members help out younger members of the organization, and in return, the younger members help out the even younger members,” said Weinberg sophomore Charlie Guo, another Fall Quarter pledge of A K Psi. “It’s like a cycle.”

Reach Christie Ileto at [email protected].