Michigan suspends star point guard

Michigan suspended point guard Daniel Horton on Tuesday, a day after Horton was charged with misdemeanor domestic violence for allegedly choking his girlfriend.

“Given the seriousness and sensitivity of the situation, we feel it is in everyone’s best interest that we suspend Daniel pending further review,” coach Tommy Amaker said in a statement. “We feel this is the right course of action at this time.”

Horton was released on $5,000 bond after his Monday arraignment, court administrator Keith Zeisloft said. If convicted, Horton could serve up to three months in jail.

Amaker said Horton will not be with the team for its Thursday game at Michigan State. Horton also is suspended from practice and all other team activities.

“I understand the severity of the situation I’m in,” Horton said in a statement. “I feel embarrassed about it, and I’m very sorry that my family, team and school have to deal with it too.”

The charge said Horton allegedly grabbed his girlfriend by the neck and choked her Dec. 10. Ann Arbor police Lt. Michael Logghe said Horton’s girlfriend didn’t seek medical attention but filed a police report Dec. 13.

Last year’s National Invitational Tournament Most Valuable Player, Horton is averaging 12.4 points and 3.8 assists this year.

He missed six games earlier this year with a knee injury.

Hoosier coach?

After losing to Northwestern 73-52 on Jan. 5, Indiana coach Mike Davis faced heavy criticism, including some calls for his job.

Since the NU rout, the Hoosiers have won four straight games and shot into the top half of the Big Ten standings.

But Davis said the fans’ complaints had nothing to do with his team’s turnaround.

“The fans are going to say what they want to say,” he said.

Davis also said fan complaints are nothing new to him.

“After five years you get used to it,” Davis said. “Even when we shared the (Big Ten) title, they weren’t happy, and we hadn’t won a conference title in a long time.”

Minnesota coach Dan Monson said Indiana’s schedule caused its slow start.

“(They couldn’t) get any momentum and rhythm going,” Monson said. “They are playing with more confidence right now. They’ve won a couple games, and they feel like they’re going to win.”

Davis said his players have benefited from the improved play of Bracey Wright, who has averaged 23 points per game since being held to seven at NU.

“They feed off of him,” Davis said. “If he’s playing well, they play well.”

Walk-on Running

When Aaron Johnson came to Penn State, he was nothing more than an unusually tall college student.

Now the former walk-on is the Big Ten’s leading rebounder, averaging 10.5 per game after his 21-board performance in Saturday’s 65-62 win against NU.

“Aaron has really climbed his way (to the top),” coach Ed DeChellis said.

After making the team as an invited walk-on his freshman year, Johnson scored 8.3 points and pulled down 7.5 rebounds in 20 games. His play earned him a scholarship before his sophomore year.

Since then, DeChellis has asked him to do more.

“We’re trying to help him become a better and more complete player,” DeChellis said.

But, DeChellis said, Johnson has needed a little encouragement.

“He’s been told all of his life, ‘You can’t do this. You don’t belong here. You’re not that level of player.’ And he’s just tried to continue to work and to try to prove people wrong.”

DeChellis said he hopes Johnson can serve as a model for other players who aren’t highly recruited.

“Everybody has a dream to play a certain level of basketball,” DeChellis said. “There are kids who prove you wrong all the time.”

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].