Rude awakening for high school stars

Freshman Kyle Bubolz was Swimming World’s High School Swimmer of the Year in 2004. He was Wisconsin Swimmer of the Year all four years in high school and won seven state championships.

Things are not quite so easy for him at Northwestern.

"I come from a state not especially known for the talent of its swimmers," Bubolz said. "I’d go to a dual meet and win by a large margin. I come here and I’m getting beat by people on my team.

"I don’t mind the competition."

Bubolz’s impressions mirror a trend felt by nearly all freshmen swimmers: a drastic change in the caliber of competition. In less than a year, these athletes have to adjust from swimming against recreation leaguers and high schoolers to world-class competition every week, like No. 8 Michigan’s Peter Vanderkaay, who won Olympic gold in Athens and who the Wildcats face this weekend.

"Most swimmers go through their high school careers with one or two races where they have to put it on the line," coach Bob Groseth said. "You have to step up every weekend in college."

The Cats’ freshmen are being asked to consistently perform at a high level for the No. 14 squad. During last weekend’s double dual meet against No. 5 Arizona and Washington, freshmen Bubolz and David Kormushoff accounted for four top-three finishes in individual events.

Bubolz and Kormushoff also helped win the 400-yard freestyle relay for the Cats.

They, along with classmates Jon Ehret, Daniel Walls and Adam Lewno, also hold top-three times on the team in 11 of the 14 individual events.

Groseth believes in the importance of experience for his swimmers early in their careers.

"We’re going to put them in situations where they are challenged," Groseth said. "Sometimes they are going to fail and we’re here to analyze and tell them what they can do better."

Bubolz admits that the pressure to perform is in stark contrast with his high school experience.

"You’re expected to win or place in the top three," he said. "When you don’t, it’s not the best feeling in the world."

He added, "The pressure to succeed is a lot different than what I’m used to."

Reach David Morrison at [email protected].