Freshman ranked 1st, Wildcats No. 5 in poll

Northwestern freshman Audra Cohen was named the No. 1 tennis player in both singles and doubles Tuesday by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association.

The ITA also ranked NU No. 5 — the team’s highest ranking ever. Junior Cristelle Grier earned the No. 4 singles ranking and sophomore Alexis Prousis is ranked No. 49. Grier shares the No. 1 doubles ranking.

Cohen won the first 20 singles matches of her collegiate career, including 12 in nine days at the ITA National Championships to win NU’s first national singles title. She finished the fall with a 20-1 singles record and 12-0 doubles record.

She also won the ITA Midwest Championship singles title and teamed up with Grier to win the ITA National Indoors Doubles Championship.

Cohen is the first freshman to be ranked No. 1 since 2001.

Cohen also is the second NU player to be ranked No. 1 this season — Grier earned the preseason No. 1 ranking in singles. NU is the first team since Stanford in 1999-2000 to have two players ranked No. 1 in singles during the same season.

This is the second straight year the Wildcats rank No. 1 in doubles after the fall schedule. Grier and Jessica Rush earned that ranking last year.

NU, which has won six straight conference championships, is one of only two Big Ten teams ranked in the top 25, along with No. 20 Michigan.

Reach Patrick Dorsey at [email protected].