Cats, Wolverines in Battle of the Invalids

The Wolverines better think twice before shaking any of the Wildcats’ hands after tonight’s game in Ann Arbor, Mich. With six Northwestern players showing signs of or recovering from a stomach virus, maybe fans should consider wearing surgical masks before entering the Crisler Arena.

Michigan (10-5, 1-0 Big Ten) has had its share of personnel problems as well. Five players who have started at least one game have been sidelined due to injury at some point this season.

As far as NU’s troubles go, senior Davor Duvancic, sophomore Tim Doyle, freshman Gary Lee and juniors T.J. Parker, Evan Seacat and Ivan Tolic all have been affected by the virus.

“How are you going to keep a team apart?” NU coach Bill Carmody said. “Doc told them to just wash their hands a lot, like your mother used to tell you.”

Shortly before NU (8-6, 1-1) notched a 21-point victory against Indiana Jan. 5, Parker was scratched from the starting lineup because of the virus. Although he tried to play against Michigan State, Parker saw only five minutes of action before Carmody took him out because he wasn’t strong enough.

Carmody said Monday’s practice was the longest he had seen Parker play in “a while.” Parker won’t go “full tilt” against Michigan. Carmody said Monday he still hadn’t decided how long Parker would play.

“I’m going to play as many minutes as coach will give me,” Parker said. “If I have to be out there for 40 minutes, then I will.”

When Carmody checked in with his team Monday, he learned Seacat had contracted the virus and is doubtful to play tonight. Doyle also had begun to show signs of the virus.

The virus isn’t the only thing affecting NU’s starting lineup. Freshman Brandon Lee is recovering from a broken nose and has seen limited action, while junior Vedran Vukusic played only 25 minutes against Michigan State due to a shoulder injury he suffered in the first half.

Vukusic said his shoulder is “fine, just a little sore.” Despite living with Duvancic, who was sick, Vukusic has avoided the virus.

“(The virus) has definitely affected our team, but we’ve got to overcome that,” Vukusic said. “We have enough guys on the floor to replace them.”

Despite having eight of 14 players either sick or recovering from sickness or injury, NU shouldn’t look for any sympathy from Michigan.

When Michigan faced Fairfield on Saturday, its starting five barely resembled the opening-game lineup — only two starters were the same.

“We’ve had players step up for us and have contributed greatly in different segments of this particular season for us,” Wolverines coach Tommy Amaker said. “Given the nature and number of injuries we’ve had, it just seems like it’s been a lot at this early juncture of the season.”

Junior guard Lester Abram has been out of the lineup since Nov. 19 after injuring his left shoulder. Abram will be out the remainder of the season after having surgery.

Junior forward Graham Brown has been out since Dec. 7 recovering from hernia surgery, and junior guard Daniel Horton has been back only two games after sitting out six with an injured left knee. Horton has come off the bench the last two games, playing 26 minutes in a win against Iowa and 17 in a win against Fairfield.

“Certainly we are fairly excited as we are starting to get a little bit more healthy with some of the players coming back,” Amaker said. “But it seems like every time we get someone back, we seem to have someone else that’s departing our team because of a slight injury here and there.”

Junior forward Chris Hunter and sophomore forward Brent Petway, who earned spots in the starting lineup when their teammates were injured, have had their play limited the last two games because of injuries of their own.

“You just have to prepare for the things they do,” Carmody said. “The guys that are questionable are still on the scouting report, and if they play, then they do.”

Reach Abe Rakov at [email protected].